PDA

View Full Version : Flying tomorrow - question about bringing seat for 4 year old

billysmommy
06-13-2007, 07:29 PM
I have a question. We are flying out tomorrow and the original plan was to bring both carseats on the flight. Now I'm thinking about just bringing the carseat for Benjamin and having Billy sit in the regular seat on the plane.
I spoke with our car rental company today about renting a carseat/booster for Billy when we get there and what brands they have. He said they have Britax marathons, Regents and Evenflo Triumphs as well as others. I requested either the Regent or Triumph as we use both of those and I am familiar with installing them.
Has anyone flown with a 4 year old with them sitting in the regular seat? And how did it go? Billy is 38.5 pounds and 42 inches tall if it makes a difference.

hillview
06-13-2007, 07:54 PM
My friend flew with her dd who was almost 3 with no car seat. Said she sat with her belt on no problems and could basically sleep lying down on the seat (she is on the petite side). I know my DS wouldn't do that and couldn't fit lying down. She had a great experience. Good luck!
/hillary

Joolsplus2
06-13-2007, 07:58 PM
I'd rather gate check my own seat than rely on a rental company to provide a clean, uncrashed seat that fits my kid and includes a manual...I mean, it's possible they really will have a good clean seat that you have no problems installing, but most of us end up with nothing (ooops, ran out, sorry!) or the wrong seat that's utterly filthy (the storage lots for seats I've seen can look like the confiscated seats from a big seat check :P ).

As for flying with a 4 yo in a seat with a belt, that's usually fine :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

kbudsberg
06-13-2007, 08:59 PM
My 3 year old flew once w/out a carseat. She did fine but I know she'll do fine w/her carseat. I'm afraid she'll figure out how easy it is to unbuckle the seatbelt on the plane. I also wouldn't rent a seat. Just 2 weeks ago as I was installing our Scenera into our rental the family behind us was yelling at the Avis guy that they rented 2 carseats and neither of the straps would tighten correctly. I was so glad we had our own seat.

Kim

stefani
06-13-2007, 10:53 PM
I would suggest gate checking Billy's car seat if it helps you to handle carry-ons and Benjamin & Billy, but that way you know for sure that Billy has a carseat once you get there.

DS (almost 4 now) has flown to Asia sitting in regular seat and slept for 2 hours in one leg, and then 5 hours in another, just in the seat, but reclined.

Have a good trip!