PDA

View Full Version : keyfit question and outboard spot question

kekane
06-14-2007, 01:07 PM
So I went to install the keyfit last night in a Mazda 3 (and the extra base in my Hyundai Elantra). It was, as promised, pretty easy.

But the one problem I encountered was: In the back seat of the mazda there's a raised portion that is much more level that the rest of the seat. When I had it in that spot, and had the Keyfit level adjustment low as possible, it still seemed reclined too far back.

i wasn't on a perfectly, perfectly level surface, but I put a hardware level on the ground, and compared the keyfit bubble indicator to that one.

Could this be?

So I have it in the right outboard spot now, but i'd rather have the optimal safety of the center.

While I think of it: I've been wondering, are both outboard spots equal, or is there any evidence that one side is better?

Joolsplus2
06-14-2007, 06:38 PM
Ok, so are you trying in the middle? With the seatbelt? And the recline foot is completely up in the seat, unused, and it's still showing it's overreclined? Is it different with the seat in it or out of it? Is the bubble *really* out of the acceptable range, or is it in the acceptable range but touching the line? How much pressure did you put on the base at the belt path while you tightened up and locked the belt in the lockoff? Sometimes you can squish it down in the seat a little more to get it more upright.

If going outboard really seems like the best solution, then no, there's really no difference in which side you choose, you can go on convenience alone (make sure the driver is comfortable to drive safely, etc).

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

kekane
06-15-2007, 11:34 AM
a-ha! I had not put the carrier in yet when I was looking at the bubble. and I didn't push down all that hard -- seemed to get a reasonable tight install w/out. So maybe one or both of those factors will make the difference.

I had been using the belt in the middle position. though there are only four latch anchors, my manual says you can use latch in the center (just can't have more than one seat hooked up to it). but when I tried to latch the keyfit in the center the latch attachment straps weren't long enough to reach the anchors, even when fully extended, so i then tried it w/the belt. maybe a vigorous pushing-down will affect that? or any other tricks I may have missed?

and i think i need to scope out some perfectly flat parking lot, instead of trying to compare it to a hardware level on the ground.

Joolsplus2
06-15-2007, 03:10 PM
Oh yeah, Mazda's good about allowing middle latch, but I'm not sure about Chicco... I'm not sure if they want you to use a standard LATCH distance of 11 inches or they have some leeway in what they allow. Sounds like the short latch strap is supposed to act as a natural inhibitor to using anchors that are too widely spaced, though. See what the manual says :). Don't worry about breaking the base or anything...put your knee in it while you tighten the lapbelt down (while pulling up hard on the shoulderbelt, to get the lapbelt shorter/tighter, before you put the shoulderbelt in the lockoff), that'll probably be all you need to do to get the recline better. And finally, don't sweat the recline 'too' much...it's important, but mainly getting a good tight install and making sure baby's head doesn't flop forward on his/her chest which might cut off the airway, is your main goal.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx