PDA

View Full Version : Which seat where?

cindylouhoo
06-14-2007, 10:37 PM
We have a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer. DS #1 (17 mos.) is in a Boulevard. We will be putting in the Graco Snugride for our newborn about August. Are there any suggestions about which seat to put on which side in the back based on safety first then convenience? TIA!

Joolsplus2
06-15-2007, 07:35 AM
"The most protected child in the least protected spot"... this is your mantra, learn it, use it :)

But what does it mean? Rearfacing is safest, that child should always be near the door. Forward facing harnessed is less safe, that child should always be in the center if possible. Boostering is even less safe, but requires a shoulderbelt, so you often have to do it outboard (by the door). Sitting in nothing is least safe of all, if you have a shoulderbelt in the middle, that's best. (Lapbelts are a last resort, you should always do what you have to do to keep from putting a human in one, particularly a young human who's guts get crushed easily by those things...adults have bigger hipbones and smaller heads and should always take a lapbelt if that's the only option...lapbelts are GREAT for installing carseats, though!)

Now, the corollary is that "Any seat in the back in a properly used child restraint is VERY safe"... so if you find that you can't put them next to each other for fit or whatever other reasons, no need to worry, go ahead and do what's most convenient and sanity saving (For instance, I have to put my boostered kids outboard with the RF baby in the middle even though there's a shoulder belt in the middle, because I NEED to keep my older kids separated for family peace ;) )

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Joolsplus2
06-16-2007, 07:46 PM
I don't usually bump myself, but I liked this answer :D (O-mom answered the exact same double posted question really well, too, though)...oh, and rearfacing is safest, for everyone's info...to the limits of the seat...if the 17 mo is already 33 pounds, FF is necessary, but under that weight, RF is safest till age 2 at least.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx