PDA

View Full Version : Keeping straps back to put infant in seat

rgors
06-19-2007, 11:59 AM
A friend (mom to 2yo) was visiting me this weekend and watching me struggle a bit to put my baby in our infant seat (Chicco keyfit) while holding the straps to the sides. She explained how her Britax has velcro spots which can be used to hold the harness back when it's not in use -- makes it much easier to get the baby in and out of the seat. I've tried all sorts of ways that I can imagine to tuck the harness back on each side, but I haven't figured out the magic yet. (We're still using the newborn insert if that matters.)

Would there be anything wrong with me getting velcro sewn onto the keyfit harness to mimic the functionality? (Can you even sew through those straps?) I can't imagine how this would impact anything regarding crash test rating but I guess it might invalidate the warranty.

Any tips from experienced moms out there on how to tuck back the keyfit straps to keep them out of the way when putting baby on board?

Thanks!

Joolsplus2
06-19-2007, 12:06 PM
I just made the straps really long and hoped they'd stay out of the way when I kind of flopped them up over the sides :). No, we can't sew or glue anything to the harness or cover, you just have to bide your time and wait for your Britax (Or Radian, they have that velcro, too, or Maxi Cosi has little plastic holder thingies) ;). Remember that infant insert has to be removed at 11 pounds, too (headrest you can use till the harness needs to be up in the top slots if you want).

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

rgors
06-19-2007, 12:09 PM
>I just made the straps really long and hoped they'd stay out
>of the way when I kind of flopped them up over the sides :).
>No, we can't sew or glue anything to the harness or cover, you
>just have to bide your time and wait for your Britax (Or
>Radian, they have that velcro, too, or Maxi Cosi has little
>plastic holder thingies) ;). Remember that infant insert has
>to be removed at 11 pounds, too (headrest you can use till the
>harness needs to be up in the top slots if you want).
>
>:)
>Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
>http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Yeah, even really long I can't get them to stay up over the side. The depth of the Chicco is great overall, but for this one particular little thingamajig, not so great!

Baby is 8 lbs now -- we have a few weeks to go with the insert! :)

robynloren
06-22-2007, 08:46 PM
I used to try to keep them back but eventually gave up and now I just plop my son on top of them and dig them out from underneath him. He doesn't seem to mind. :)