PDA

View Full Version : Need MAJOR help fitting 3 across

KTARS
06-21-2007, 04:52 PM
Hey everyone.
I apologize in advance for the life story here - but I need some help finding 3 seats that will fit across in my car so I figure I'll give you as much info as humanly possible in hopes that you all can help! :)

My baby is almost 13 months old and still in her Chicco Keyfit. The day to swap her into the convertible seat is fast approaching, so I think I need to start preparing my car seat line-up for it. The problem is that 3 across in my car is TIGHT ... REALLY REALLY TIGHT.

I drive a Ford Explorer - older style - 1998 model and I have 3 kids that I need to put in there!

Oldest - 4 years, 5 months old - 30 lbs and 41" tall. She is *just* at the top slots - maybe slightly over for the Britax Roundabout - so she now rides full time in the Marathon.

Middle kid - 3 years old (well he turns 3 next week) - 27 lbs and 38" tall. He currently is riding in the Roundabout. He was RF in the marathon, but we had to pass it along to my oldest - so he is now FF in the Rounabout (too tall to RF in that particular seat as his head is at the top of the shell).

Baby - almost 13 months old - 15 lbs - 30" long - currently rides in the Chicco keyfit. She's only on the 2nd slots as the 3rd slots are still above her shoulders - but she's been eating like a pig these last couple weeks, so I'm expecting a growth spurt (FINALLY) on her prety soon. She also has a loooong neck (think Audrey hepburn neck .. lol) - so she has maybe 3" of shell above her head left in the chicco. Her head is right at the chicco symbol ...

Sooo .. right now i have the FF marathon (center), the FF roundabout (outboard passenger), and the chicco (outboard drivers side) and they *just* fit in my car. They are each independently tight and stable BUT they all touch each other and the end seats both touch the door as well - so its a TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT fit.

Other minor tidbits ...
*the middle seat in the back is lapbelt only.
*the belts lock after pulling them out
*only have headrests on the two outer seats
*no tether anchors in my car for FF
*our Roundabout has an "old" style base which is larger than the newer bases and it is too wide to put in the middle so it has to be an outboard seat.

I also have these other seats that are currently in my husbands car to use as well.

*Recaro Young Sport
*Eddie Bauer 3 in 1 (I'd like to avoid using this one at all cost as it is a royal PAIN to use - and to boot the harness is too short for my 3 and 4 year olds anyway)
*Maxi Cosi Priori - which my friend told me expires 8 years after manu. date for this particular seat? is that correct? If so, then it expires next year ... I think. Either way, it makes me nervous that its older - so I think I wnt to replace it soon anyway.

I am more than willing to buy a new seat for any of the kids if needed. I just need something to FIT.

I am most likely getting a new (larger) suv within the next year - but I can't guarantee myself that it will happen before the baby is officially too big for the keyfit!

I also want to add that I am SPOLIED rotten my my Britax seats (and the Recaro & Chicco too) - I'm constantly taking the seats in and out of my car -so easy installations are a MUST.

I also do not want my 4 year old in a booster seat yet and if I am able to flip my son back to RF - that would be awesome as well.

Soooo - what are my options? Other than buying a new car immediately! LOL

Thanks in advance for any help you all can give me!

Trista

Joolsplus2
06-21-2007, 05:22 PM
I think you can probably quite easily get a Radian (65, don't bother with the 80, same top harness slot heights, a tad taller than the Marathon) and Marathon FF next to each other, and the Roundabout RF on the other side (You won't hate the Radian, it's very britax-esque). Um... now I feel bad giving such a short answer to such a long question, but you put the problem out there so well the answer was obvious (to me, anyway, lol). You MIGHT be able to get the MA RF again for your 3 yo, but that's a big 'maybe'... the RN and MA fit SO well together when they are both FF, but not so well when one's RF and one's FF.
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

KTARS
06-21-2007, 06:00 PM
Thanks Julie.

I tried to be as thorough as possible (and then on top of that I'm rather long winded I guess! lol)!! I always read these boards, though I rarely post, so I guess I figured out the line of questions that I'd probably be asked! ;)

Do you happen to know off hand what the actual width of the Radian is?
How do you like it?
I take it there are no cutsey cover options, right? Just what we see - beige ... blah ... darn!
I think my Chicco is 17" wide? I forget exactly. So finding a seat 17" or less has been close to impossible.

I know I read that it has car compatibility issues - what exactly are these issues - anything I should look out for or know before hand?

I was set on getting the Deacathlon or another Marathon for the baby and I was just so disapointed that I couldn't fit it back there with the other two britaxes. Like BEYOND disappointed.
I guess I'll just buy it anyway and put it in my husbands car! hehe I've been wanting to replace that 3 in 1 seat for AGES now anyway and having it RF again just annoys me more than anything now.

Also, what about tether anchors? Should I bother getting them installed since I plan to get rid of this car by the end of the year? Or is it a "must" for the FF kids? I have to bring my car in anyway to get two of the million recalls on it fixed again (recline lever bolt and cruise control ... for the 4th time!) - what do I tell them to do? Do I just ask them to install tether anchors and they do it? I assume the luggage/cargo hooks on the floor aren't tether anchors, right?

Thanks for all your help!

Trista

Joolsplus2
06-21-2007, 06:51 PM
Well, you CAN buy the Radian 80 in Princess... mighty flowery :D. At the narrowest it's 13 inches (where the seatbelt goes through it), at the widest it's 17, about where the elbows of the kiddo are...right where it meshes under the side lip of the Marathon's shell. I think it'll work fine with a lap-only belt...I don't think it doesn't fit in your car, anyway. If you take your car in, ask them about 'Program R7C' that gets you free tether anchors, but if they act totally stupid, just don't worry about it: the Marathon shoulderbelt lockoff 'acts like' a top anchor, and the Radian performs VERY well, even without a top anchor. No, the cargo hooks aren't anchors (I have no idea why not... but don't use them anyway)

:)

KTARS
06-22-2007, 08:58 AM
Thank You again Julie!

You are the same Julie from the yahoo swap boards who always has the plethora of car seat knowledge, right?

And WOW that one sure is mightly flowery! I showed my oldest the Radian and she screamed "I want THAT one!" - so I guess its settled.

Good to know about the cargo hooks ... I use them to hold down my strollers back there anyway! ;)

Is there a site that lists car seat widths, by some chance?

Thanks again!
Trista

Joolsplus2
06-22-2007, 09:11 AM
Yeah, it's probably me on the boards...I get around :D (love my cloth diapers and strollers...sigh...).

www.carseatdata.org has widths listed, but our vast experience here is probably still a better bet because it's really the 'mesh' factor that can matter more than the overall width :)