PDA

View Full Version : Massachusetts wants law for booster seats (up to 8yo or 4'9)

AddiesMom
06-22-2007, 05:30 AM
Massachusetts wants law for booster seats for kids up to 8yo or 4'9" and here are what people are saying about this (BRACE YOURSELF!!)

My personal (least) favorite... "This is so ridiculous. Now seatbelts aren't enough? When a child is 7 and 8 it's got to be EMBARRASSING to be in a car seat. I can't imagine my 9 year old step-son-to-be climbing into a car seat last year. No way. Has there been some sort of rash of accidents involving 8 year olds getting seriously hurt with just their seatbelt? How is the seat going to save them if the belt can't? He'll just be higher up when the accident happens. Stupid."

Another quote: "I currently have 3 kids in car seats and had to purchase an SUV and a Wagon to accomodate these. I was really looking forward to freeing up some vehichle space, as my oldest now 5 is out growing his. Many vehicles today offer adjustable height safety belts and seats, which is basically the same that feature that these boosters offer. We purchased our Volvo based on this feature. I think this law may be founded on good intentions, but in reality sounds like the industry just wants to sell more car seats in perpetuity."

Found this on Boston Globe's website.

codex57
06-22-2007, 05:39 AM
Well, a booster could be those cheap backless boosters. At first, it sounded a bit too much to me. Then I thought about it. Car manufacturers don't design their seats for children (or small adults). The highest profile example are air bags. Now, they shut off airbags when someone too small or light sits in the front seat. You can't "turn off" a seat belt.

Requiring a backless booster (just $20-30) is likely the most cost effective way of dealing with proper seat belt fit to a smaller than average adult sized human. Built in booster seat to every car, adjustable positions of seat belts... all that stuff would likely cost more or have reduced safety in an amount that's not worth just having people go buy a cheap backless booster as needed.

vickimaggie
06-22-2007, 05:51 AM
Man I hope this passes, I hate our current law. Its hard to tell people that their kids are unsafe in just a seatbelt when the law doesn't support that. Either way my kids will rear face for as long as they can, stay harnessed as long as they can, and stay in a booster until they can pass the 5 step test.

Joolsplus2
06-22-2007, 01:33 PM
Ya just wanna say, yeah, there HAS been a rash of killed and injured kids who aren't in boosters. DUH!!!!! Don't try to sound smart when you are STOOPID! :P

Codex is right, if they'd just make cars fit kids properly, we wouldn't have to use boosters, but no one wants to pay more for cars, so bingo, cheapest solution is to make booster seats laws.

I wish they'd just make it 4' 9", period...seriously, 8 is WAY too young for most kids in most cars... better than nothing, but if you're going to make a law, it might as well be a GOOD law...

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Mommy Of A Little Angel
06-22-2007, 03:43 PM
I am glad they are trying to change the law. In my state (FL) the laws are still horrible. Of course, I swear I see people breaking the *very* lenient laws all the time. Here they just need to be using a seat belt once they turn four. Yeah, absolutely ridiculous. As far as the comments, wow. I just don't get it. If you can keep your kid safer, why wouldn't you? That woman should be glad her kid isn't embarrassed wearing his seatbelt. I guess if he was, she would let him just ride without it?

mommyto4
06-22-2007, 04:20 PM
I totally agree. What's wrong with the law simply being to 4'9"? I think there would be alot less confusion than all of the and/or stuff that we have now.

new_mommy25
06-22-2007, 05:29 PM
I think it's great. We have the same law in Hawaii and I was happy when it passed.

However, it still really makes no difference at all. I see kids rolling up to DS's preschool sitting in the front seat or in the back seat with no booster. My favorite one is the grandma who comes to pick up her GS and her 2 yo GD is bouncing around the back of the van totally unrestrained. My DH is getting sick of hearing my b*tch about it.

It's really, really sad. I just pray that none of those families get into an accident and experience a loss.

Eliz_n_Abi_s_Mommy_Karen
06-23-2007, 03:16 AM
You know, I've got another question about this. I'm 5'3" and have a hard time getting the shoulder portion of the seat belt to fit across my collarbone without going across my neck. I've got longer legs for my height, which means my torso length is relatively short. How come current cars on the market accomodate taller occupants but not shorter occupants like me?

Joolsplus2
06-23-2007, 07:49 AM
They try to, I think it's law that shoulderbelts, at least in front seats, are adjustable up and down a few inches... but beyond that, you have to test drive cars and only buy the one that fits you best :(
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

luvsviola
06-23-2007, 12:03 PM
The booster law is the same for Indiana. How will it be "uncool" when EVERY kids is required??? Buy your kid a fun looking booster and get over yourself! When the law went into effect, our Target got millions of the $20 Graco Turboboosters and they got clearanced to $18. While that isn't what I want for my child, that is only a couple fewer packs of cigarettes or beer. Come on! Keep your child safe!