PDA

View Full Version : CPS Tech Courses

Mommy Of A Little Angel
06-22-2007, 03:48 PM
I really want to become certified and finally have a chance to. Unfortunately, all the classes in my state are controlled. There is an option to request permission for the class, but is it likely they will let me in? Anything I should know? I wish there was a public class but it seems like they have the courses for the rest of the year up already. Also, when you took the course, were you the only mom among a sea of policemen or firemen? Just wondering!

nfowife
06-22-2007, 09:48 PM
I think it's worth asking for sure. I was trying to get certified in November (before baby arrived) and the only class was through the local police station that was doing it for their employees. They had space, and I contacted the instructor and said I was a mom who was very interested in getting certified, would he be willing to let me take the course, I'd pay, etc etc. He was very accomodating and totally welcoming towards me. Unfortunately, my DH was called on a business trip that week and I couldn't get childcare for DD worked out without him so I couldn't take it. Now I will have to wait until DS weans early next year!
Anyhow, definitely ask!

Joolsplus2
06-23-2007, 07:56 AM
www.cpsboard.org, I think (or www.safe-kids.org? but I think that takes you to cpsboard...)... look for classes in your area, and if there's nothing listed, DO write to the person listed as the email contact/SK coordinator, they may know about classes that aren't listed...I took my class one state over, because it had an opening and was free.

Yup, most of 'us' are the passionate-mom types, and everyone in class is there for their job... you may know WAY more than any of them, depending on how long you've been reading boards online ;)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Mommy Of A Little Angel
06-23-2007, 09:13 PM
Yup, that's the site I found the classes in. I live in central FL so no hope of finding a class in a nearby state! There are only a handful of classes offered which seems like a very small amount across a pretty big state. I will email the person listed and see if she can help me.

Yeah, I figured I would be one over-informed (but in a good way!) mom in a room full of people who are there because they have to be. It should be fun!

Thanks for the tips. I hope I can find a class soon!

Mommy Of A Little Angel
06-23-2007, 09:14 PM
I starting looking for classes as soon as I finished nursing so I totally understand! I will definitely ask and see what I can do. Thanks for the tips on how to get into a class!

tarynsmum
06-24-2007, 07:56 AM
I took a 'public' course, but I was the only "non-professional" in the room - there were police officers, some EMTs, some people from a Special Needs school (there to get their ConEd credits), etc. The first thing on the first day, everyone went around, introduced themselves and their 'titles'... Yeah, I just said, "I'm Heather, and I'm a mom." 'Nuff said. The instructors were pretty surprised that I was there, but I had a pretty good time in the class none the less (even though I was the only person who actually paid for the class myself, and wasn't getting paid to be there, lol!

Mommy Of A Little Angel
06-25-2007, 08:00 PM
I emailed the instructor and she said that class was controlled to ensure that those who sign up help with the car seat safety initiative in the county. Essentially, they want people to volunteer in clinics and classes and such. I am really excited about becoming involved in the local effort because the laws here are so outdated! I can't wait!

kijip
06-27-2007, 02:31 AM
Yes, I was the only mom who was not also a nurse, police officer or social worker. And there were many, many cops in the class. :P

Mine was not controlled but thye did sign up volunteers after the class.

****Rocking out while parenting my smart little munchkin Toby. Just trying to do good in the world, a little at a time. Words to live by: it is *never* the wrong time to do the right thing :)