PDA

View Full Version : Flying this winter alone with 2 children

HIU8
10-24-2007, 01:18 PM
Ok, I'm flying alone this winter with DS, who will be 3, and DD who will be 7 months, to see my mother. There is no way DH can take the time off. I need some time to prepare and some reassurance...I was going to have my mother purchase a scenera for DS (who is still RF at 28 lbs and 36 inches) and not use a carseat on the plane. Meanwhile I will have the baby in a Safeseat 1.

Here are my questions:

1) is it realistic to think that DS will sit in a seat on the plane, buckled in the entire 2.5 hour flight? I didn't really want to have to carry his Marathon along with everything else--don't think I can handle all that going through the airport. What are some other viable options that are still safe and not overwhelming for me?

2) should I pack DD's safeseat base to use at my mother's, or should I just put the carseat in the car without the base (we will be there one week and my mother has a 2000 nissan altima).

3) if you have flown with your children but not your spouse--please let me know if they let your spouse come to the gate and help get you and your DC on the plane or are you on your own?

Related flying questions...

4) will the airlines ruin my BJCSD if I gate check it? That is my only double stroller. I am considering just bringing a single and having DS walk (we are not doing any parks or large outings).

5) Can I bring DD's formula on the plane? I mix formula as needed into bottles already filled with water, so I carry the powder in a travel container in the diaper bag.

Thanks in advance for any BTDT advice. I could really use it.

Heather
DS 11/27/04
DD 6/9/07

nfowife
10-24-2007, 02:13 PM
I'm flying for Thanksgiving home with my 2 kiddos. I have purchased seats for all 3 of us. My plan right now is to bring scenaras for both kids (one we own for DH's car, the other one I'm borrowing from a good friend). I've purchased a double umbrella stroller for the trip (chicco citta twin) and plan to hang the scenaras on the outer handles through the airport when we change planes.
They should give your DH (and mom, on the way back) a pass to go through security with you to the gate. Just ask at check-in. It has never been a problem for us. I don't think they can help you onto the actual plane, though. I have found strangers and flight attendants to be really helpful. They carry the carseats to our seats and whatnot.
I wouldn't trust my 2.5 year old to behave in the seat. Plus, I know that there is at least the possibility that she will fall asleep in her carseat. In the plane seat, no way. And we are changing planes so it is going to be a long day. I need to have her restrained!
You can bring on formula no problem.
Personally, I wouldn't bring the BJCSD. I'd just be too worried. I'm not bringing my phil and ted's becuase I don't see how I can deal with getting it bagged at the gate with both kids and I don't trust it unbagged so I just decided to buy the chicco, which I will sell when I get home after the trip on craigslist. I see it as a "stroller rental fee".
I've flown solo with 2 before and it wasn't so bad. People are very understanding and helpful and know that even if it sucks, it's only a few hours and it's okay!

bubbaray
10-24-2007, 11:36 PM
1) My DD#1 wouldn't if not restrained. I'd purchase a Scenara and take it on the plane.
2) Pack the base in your checked luggage
3) Perish the thought. shudder.... My hat is off to those who try it.
4) I probably wouldn't bring the BJCSD (my only double too). I'd probably get a Joovy Caboose or SitNStand so the baby could go in the front in the SafeSeat (if it fits??), the MA goes on the step, carryons in the basket or use a backpack and DC#1 walks.
5) IIRC formula is fine

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

801kelle
10-25-2007, 08:24 AM
I have flown tons with my daugther by myself. She is now 4.5 yo. I have been traveling with her since she was 9 months old. TO give you an idea how many times my daughter has flown.. she has 40,000 miles!

YES YOU CAN TAKE Water, milk, formula and food for small children.

I always take my daughter's marathon on the plane. I put it on top of her stroller and wheel her in it through the airport. By the way I have a Graco Metrolite stroller. I always gate check my stroller and have never had anything happen to it. They put them in last with the luggage. First thing pulled out when plane lands.

My thoughts on the reality of your child sitting in a airplane seat buckled in for two and half hours... I don't know. How does your child do on long car trips?

I always take my car seat.. they can sleep, be more comfortable etc.. Plus we have always told our daughter since she could understand.. "you have to sit in your car seat on the airplane just like you always do in the car". That way it is also easier to control them if they are strapped in their seat that they can't get out of ..

ALSO my pediatrician told me I could give my daughter a quarter tablet of dramimine .. so I do half hour before flight leaves.. helps them SLEEP.. Most of the time my daughter falls asleep while taxing down the run way before we are even in the air!!!!!! I travel alot to the east coast which is 4.5 hour flight.. I also bring my portable dvd player and coloring books etc .. for her to play with if she doesn't sleep the whole flight.

You can call the airlines you are traveling on and ask them. That sounds reasonable to ask if your husband can come with you to the gate. BUT I DO KNOW they will NOT let him come on the plane to help you get you and your children settled. Last year when my friend was moving she had a infant on oxygen and and 3 yo and I got a gate pass and went with her through security and got to wait with her at the gate. She went on first and installed the car seats and then came back out where I was staying with the kids and got them and then took them on the plane. They wouldn't let me go on and help her on the plane.

HOPE THIS HELPS.. Only other option if you don't want to take two car seats on the plane is that seat belt thing you can buy .. I forget what it is called.. but it attaches to airplane seat belt I believe and it is like a harness seat belt.. I still think having them in their car seat makes it easier for you and them.. to have a more peaceful flight!!!!!!!!!

801kelle
10-25-2007, 08:27 AM
I have NEVER bagged my stroller... When you check strollers and or car seats at the gate.. they take them after all the luggage is loaded and lay them on top of the luggage in the cargo department. Then they unload them first before unloading the baggage.. As a matter of fact I have never seen anyone bag their stroller when checking at the gate?

Momof3Labs
10-25-2007, 08:28 AM
I think that you absolutely need a car seat for your older child. How will you deal with a diaper change with two kids in an airplane bathroom? At least if he is buckled into a car seat, a flight attendant would probably be willing to keep him company while you get the diaper taken care of. You can buy a Scenera here and use it on the plane.

Yes, you can probably get a pass for your DH to help you to the boarding area (depends on the airline and the airport, though) but he cannot go onto the plane with you.

Your DD's powdered formula is fine, but they may make you throw out any bottled water and repurchase it through security (or if it is already in baby bottles, they will let you bring through a reasonable amount).

801kelle
10-25-2007, 08:29 AM
ON taking the base..of your infant seat.. I never traveled with it.. too much hassle.. you can use infant seat installed in car just fine and on airplane

801kelle
10-25-2007, 09:17 AM
I always take 2 sippy cups in my bag.. one with water in it and one with milk in it for my daughter.. They have never made me get rid of it!!!!!!!! Or any type of snacks

801kelle
10-25-2007, 10:10 AM
Airline attendants are always helpful.. When my daughter was little I would ask them to hold her if she was awake while I went to the bathroom.. I have even left her in her seat while she was sleeping and went to the bathroom.

hannah
10-27-2007, 01:13 PM
I flew in August with both kids (3 and 7 mo) by myself on Frontier which I found to be a very family friendly airline. I had a cares harness for DD and she did very well on the 2+ hour flight from Denver to Milwaukee. I checked her carseat. I borrowed a "pac back" holder from a friend and carried DS car seat (Marathon) on my back. Both kids were in the double (twin swift) which I gate checked. The airline gave DH a pass to come with me to the gate because I wanted the extra help getting thru security. What i didn't realize is that they flagged DH and made him go through the special screening line at security where at the Denver airport they puff lots of air at you and the machine makes a lot of noise. I chose not to go through the line with the kids because I didn't want to scare them which meant that I was on my own going through security with the 2 kids. It wasn't that bad and the security people helped me out. For formula, I bring the powder and the empty bottles and then just purchase bottled water once I get through security. You will be fine on your trip. For the most part fellow travelers are very helpful. I would however have to disagree with a PP that all airlines attendants are helpful. I have flown on some very UN-friendly airlines when it comes traveling alone with children. Sometimes they won't let you board early, sometimes they won't take the car seat to your plane seat, sometimes they won't hold your baby when you are trying to install the car seat. For the most part I have had pleasant experiences traveling with my kids. Just ask for help, make sure you board EARLY (jump right up when they call for pre-boarding) and ask for LOTS of help if you need it.
Have a safe flight!