PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose between Britax Marathon and Radian!

ummzayaan
10-24-2007, 04:15 PM
Hi all!

My son is almost 8 months old and at his last appointment (3 weeks ago), he was 17 lb 4 oz and 28 inches! 28 inches already!!! He's about to outgrow his Graco Snugride in terms of height, so I need to buy a convertible. I want to make a smart purchase - don't want to have to buy a second seat simply because I wasn't happy with the first one.

At first I thought I'd go with the Marathon, but I recently learned about the Radian 65 and it seems cool! Saves space, high weight limit, also allows the baby to be rear-facing until 33 lbs just like the Marathon. Also the Radian seems to be better for taller babies? And better to travel with? (We do a lot of back-and-forth from the East Coast to the West Coast).

Now I'm utterly confused! Anyone have any advice/suggestions?

(I have a Nissan Murano, by the way. And my husband has a Honda Accord)

Thanks!

tarynsmum
10-25-2007, 02:46 PM
I have both a Marathon (for my car) and a Radian (for DH's truck), as well as a few Sceneras for other vehicles (I hate having to trade out car seats). First off, I am very, very spoiled by my Marathon. I've had it for over a year, and love it. Love, love. Compared to a Britax, well, nothing compares for me. We have the Radian because I couldn't get an acceptable install with ANYthing else. The Radian is interesting, and nice for traveling because it is light and folds up and all that... but I hate it (ducking tomatoes here). The chest clip is *awful* and bulky. It's really hard to get a decent seatbelt install (if you have LATCH in both vehicles, it'll be less of a problem). My main issue with the Radian is the rear-facing boot. It works out great for DH's truck, because he has seriously bucket-y seats, but in a regular car, DD would hate to be reclined so much (the boot basically forces you to have a 45 degree recline, which would drive her bonkers at almost 2 years old. She likes to be really upright).

So I don't know. If I had a choice, it would be Britax hands down. IMO, the Radian is a great niche market seat (great for 3 across, the folding make it nice for serious fliers, the Radian80 is better for newborns than the Marathon is, etc)

stillplayswithbarbies
10-25-2007, 03:26 PM
I have both and I have to agree that the Marathon is better, especially for a baby who still sleeps in the car. The Radian has smaller sides and they don't make great pillows. The Marathon is more comfortable for baby to lean their head against.

I'll be travelling in a few weeks with the Radian, but up until now I have used the Marathon with no complaints.

belovedgandp
10-25-2007, 08:13 PM
I "kind of" have both also. I love the Radian, but I didn't get it until my son was 3 and in the "outgrew his smaller 5-point harness seat too early for me to go to a booster" situation. I've loved it and have not used the Marathon for him. BUT he never sleeps in the car and has only been forward facing in it.

I really can't imagine using the Radian rearfacing with an infant. I love the fact that it sits lower which makes it easy for my son to climb in and out himself; the Marathon sat too tall for him to comfortably do that quickly. I have a 90+ percentile 3 1/2 year old kid for height. I still have another slot to move up, so a solid 2 1/2 inches of torso length to grow using the Radian. In the Marathon he's in the top slot with about 1/2 to 3/4 an inch for growth. I know they should be about the same, but for some reason they "fit" completely differently.

Marathon is great rearfacing and and general convertible seat. It is the seat my now 4 month old will move to. Depending on if you're having more kids or how frequently you drive which car, you might do one of each. Using the Marathon for primary vehicle because of sleeping. It will give you a smidge of flexibility for traveling, rotating with additional kids, etc in the future.

bubbaray
10-25-2007, 08:54 PM
Hmmm, we have two of each now -- 2 MAs, 2 RNs. If it helps any, we have DD#1 FFg in a RN in my van ('05 Odyssey) and DH's SUV ('97 Pathfinder). DD#2 (9m) is RFg in a MA in my van and will be DH's SUV (she d/n ride in his car right now b/c I'm on maternity leave until she's 12m). For us, the RN is not a seat that we would be using RFg for DD#2.

The RN has a pretty long back, so when its RFg, it needs more room than the MA, at least in our vehicles. We're both tall, so we need the room. DD#2 is RFg in her MA behind the driver's seat in my van and there is really not any extra room for the seat. There is NO way the RN would fit there. There will be even less room in the Pathfinder, where she will be RFg outboard passenger side -- I do NOT look forward to travelling with that seat very far forward. Again, I can't see how the RN would work for us RFg in the Pathfinder. It might for shorter parents, though.

The RN is an absolute TANK of a seat. Plus, its not super easy to install like the MA is. Those are things to consider before deciding that you want to travel with it.

If I absolutely was only buying one seat and knew for a fact that the RN fit in my vehicle both RFg and FFg, AND I thought that my child was more torso than legs, I'd get the RN. BUT, I think for most people as a single seat, especially for RFg, the MA is a better seat. IIRC, the RN has a 7 yr expiry and the MA is 6 yrs, but I'm not 100% sure on those numbers.

HTH

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

ummzayaan
10-25-2007, 11:27 PM
Hmm... thanks all! It sounds like the Marathon's the way to go. Since my son is only 8 months old, it's important to me that I get a good rear-facing car seat. Plus he DOES fall asleep in the car a lot.

I really appreciate the advice from all you superwomen!

801kelle
10-26-2007, 06:30 AM
I have a Britax Marathon and love it.. My daugther is 4.5 yo and is 41 inches and 40 lbs.

The thing I have heard about the Radian is that people don't like the crotch strap.. it is too tight and pinches kids.. I believe either that or it is the harness straps and pinches the kids necks?

linsei
10-26-2007, 11:46 AM
I'm debating between getting another Britax or a Radian.

DS #1:
3.5 years old
41" (at least)
37.5 lbs
slightly longer in torso than legs (but his legs seem pretty long also)

We have 2 Marathons (1 in each car)

I really can't see the MA taking DS1 to 65 lbs. He is FF and the straps are positioned at the highest level. Also, he can get out of it way to easily for my comfort level. He can lower the chest clip and wiggle his shoulders and arms out and turn around to look in the back of the car. The straps are as tight as I can possibly tighten.

I anticipate that we will put DS2 in the MA, so I was actually shopping for a different Britax, but then saw the Radian.

I read Melissa's response above, and it sounds like we should probably get ds1 the Radian. Is it harder for him to get out of it, comfortable enough? Unfortunately, I can't see one IRL.

Thanks for any help! :)

eta: we have some time before we actually need it... ds1 will be 4, but probably not 40 lbs. I would like to keep him 5 pt restrained until he turns 18 (lol).

Linda

http://b3.lilypie.com/64MSm4/.png[/img][/url]

And a new little Valentine to debut in February!

Joolsplus2
10-26-2007, 12:39 PM
It might be a little harder for him to get out of (unfortunately at this age it's a discipline issue, which is harder than a 'mechanical' fix you can do for a houdini 18 mo)... My DD fit in the Radian a full year longer than the Marathon (6 for the Marathon, 7 for the Radian, when she was about 48 inches, 48 pounds, and definitely fine in a booster, though the Regent is great, too!)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/Leah.aspx

801kelle
10-26-2007, 01:05 PM
I also have a Regent!!!!!! WHICH I LOVE!!!!!!!!!!

Max weight is 80 lbs and height is 53 inches

bubbaray
10-26-2007, 01:17 PM
If it helps any, my DD#1 was almost 3 and around 30lbs when we moved her from a MA to the RN in my van. At that time, she was just out of the 3rd slot on the MA (shoulders higher than the 3rd slot) and would have needed the 4th slot). She is still, 9m later, in the 3rd slot in the RN. I'm hoping she'll get an extra year out of the RN, hoping to make it to age 5.

HTH

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

ummzayaan
10-26-2007, 01:38 PM
Sounds like I'll have to get a Marathon and then later a Radian if he outgrows the Marathon in terms of height? Bummer... don't want to have to get two convertible seats.

Joolsplus2
10-26-2007, 02:48 PM
No, probably not...we just love our carseats... ;). Most kids make it to 5 or 6 in the Marathon, then can move to a highback booster or Safeguard Child Seat or Britax Regent... or they make it to 6-7 in the Radian, then move to the Regent or a highback booster (5 pts is always safest, but 6 is a decent age to move to a booster :) )
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/Leah.aspx

abharrington3
10-28-2007, 10:47 PM
we have this same question. I was leaning towards the radian for 3 reasons. we plan to have more children and i may want multiple seats across, it will last longer for my already tall/long dd and the price is a little better.

IF i can get a good install in my car (and we plan to install once and leave it there, using something else for travel) is it a good way to go?

which is better for a newborn?

Thanks!

ummzayaan
11-01-2007, 04:35 PM
My sense is it's better to use an infant seat for a newborn. I, too, wanted to save money by buying just one but I'm glad I didn't. My son was tiny and sunk into his infant seat. He would have disappeared in a big convertible seat like the Marathon!

Speaking of the Marathon, the recent recall has created some difficulties. The seats aren't available at Babies R Us for now, and I need one ASAP. What do I do?!!