PDA

View Full Version : Tall Torso Convertible Seat

10mikeemikee
10-26-2007, 01:30 PM
This board has been such a wonderful resource and I again have to ask for help :) I now have 18mo DD RF in a Decathlon and have a DS 3mo old who I need to buy a convertible for.DD has a long torso (90th percentile HT) so I was thinking of having DS use the Decathalon and get a seat that will accomodate a taller/skinny child but it must be comfy as she is picky about seats. I was going to get a Marathon but now am wondering if she will be able to use it for a long time because of her height.
I have read alot here on the radian, is that the best choice? What seat accomodates the most height? Again weight is not a problem as she is in the 10th percentile there.

Thanks for your help. I have referred many parents here that were initially picking car seats based simply on color & pattern. Thanks everyone for the wonderful info here.

bubbaray
10-26-2007, 01:49 PM
Depends on your car. The RN needs quite a bit of room for a RFg install, but its doable. I know a mom with twins who has them both RF outboard in a Volvo station wagon (can't remember the model of the Volvo), which is old enough that I assume they aren't installed via LATCH.

The RN has worked really well for us, but we've never used it RFg, so I can't comment on that. Maybe post your vehicle and that will give the techs here more to work with.

HTH

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

Joolsplus2
10-26-2007, 02:54 PM
If she's happy in her Decathlon, she should stay in it, I think. Go ahead and get a Marathon for DS, or another Decathlon, they really do fit even the tallest of kids to age 4 or 5, and the Radian is 'ok', but the chest clip and neck straps are so close together she might not like it...plus it can really eat up a lot of space RF...(I can't use it in my Ford Escape, but it's great in my minivan..).
In sum, the Radian does last a little longer harnessed than the big britaxes, but it has drawbacks that might make it not the best choice (eats space RF, sometimes impossible to install FF, pinchy neck straps... definitely try before you buy! :) )
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/Leah.aspx

sarsah
10-26-2007, 03:29 PM
My DS#2 is 4 1/2 and tall (long torso and average length legs). He still fits in his Marathon. It won't be long until he is too tall for it, but he has at least a few more months (hopefully until May when he turns 5) unless he grows really fast.

I would go with the Marathon and maybe later on, if necessary get a Regent or something similar.

Sarah.....mom to Jason & Devin

10mikeemikee
10-26-2007, 07:36 PM
Thank you everyone. I think the Marathon will be the best choice. I have a Sienna 8 pass van so it should fit with no problem. And Julie I viewed the crash test demos on your site comparing FF & RF. It again confirms my desire to RF as long as possible though it is amazing how many parents act as if you are being cruel ("they can't see anything that is why they hate the car" or "her legs are touching the seat, how uncomfortable"). I will be sharing your website with all of them. It is amazing how many people have that 1yr/22# (in FL) rule drilled in their head & immediately turn their kids. Thanks again!