PDA

View Full Version : another seat config question

JenaW
10-29-2007, 12:13 PM
I know I have asked about this (or a similar question) before, but I can't seem to find it.

We have a 03 Pontiac Montana minivan. Currently, Carter (4 1/2yrs, 34ish pounds) is in a MA in the back row, as is Maddie (3, 29 lbs). With two FF MA, I don't think ANYTHING will fit in between them. Natalie (2yo, 22 lbs) is still rear-facing in a RA in the 2nd row, Lexie (almost 1yo, 19-20lbs) is still in the key fit, also in the 2nd row. The 2nd row has three independent seats all together (i.e. not captain chairs, they don't move apart, but they do recline, move slightly foward/backward independently, and I THINK can be removed independently). ALthough I think the keyfit goes uup to a higher weight, Lexie is starting to look cramped in it.

OPTIONS:
I thought about a second RA to put RF next to Natalie (who we will plan on keeping RF for a while since she is such a peanut).

C is obviously not ready for a belt positioning booster, nor do I want him in one. I like the harnass/safety of the MA. BUT, should I look for a harnass booster for him that may be smaller than the MA (radian??) and give his MA to Natalie, and her RA to Lexie?

Is there any way to get THREE seats in the back row? (Just in case we end up with a #5. We aren't currently planning on that, but when you leave God in control of these things, you AREN'T always planning). Someone once suggested nestling the FF MAs with the RF RA in between, but there is no way we could reach in to get Natalie buckled into the RA, and C is not quite ready to do that yet. he can get his own top straps buckled, but not the bottom, and I don't think he would be strong enough to tighten Natalie's buckles even if he could snap them closed.

We do have 2 more MAs in DH's car that we could use for the time being if necessary, but he likes to have the option of taking the two older kids by himself to give me a break sometimes.

I know somewhere out there the perfect option exists. I just do not know how to find it.

Jera
Mom to Carter ~ 05.13.03
Madigan ~ 09.28.04
Natalie ~ 09.17.05 (born at 25 weeks!!)
Alexa ~ 11.03.06

Joolsplus2
10-29-2007, 02:24 PM
You might could get a Radian in the middle of the back FF between the Marathons, I think (is that bad grammar? lol)...but I wouldn't want to see either of the little girls FF for some time, at least another year if possible.... Yeah, then you could get it now for your eldest, pass down his MA, and put the baby in the RA (the usual warning applies...make sure it's not getting close to it's 6 year expiration date... :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/Leah.aspx

JenaW
11-09-2007, 08:34 PM
Well...we tried a neighbor's Radian. No go. The back seats are padded in such a way that in order to make enough room for the Radian in the middle, the two MAs have to be all the way to the side, in which case the padding makes them sit unevenly. I don't think that would be safe, would it?

I was almost ready to just buy a second RA (although I am not super thrilled with the patterns available at the sale prices). What is the difference between the Diploamt and RA? From what I can tell, it just has more padding, like a Boulevard or something. BUT, it also looks like it is shorter, which is a big issue with us. I do not think I could drive with a RF MA behind me (and I KNOW DH can't). Is the Diplomat worth the extra $$ over the RA?

Jera
Mom to Carter ~ 05.13.03
Madigan ~ 09.28.04
Natalie ~ 09.17.05 (born at 25 weeks!!)
Alexa ~ 11.03.06

o_mom
11-09-2007, 08:53 PM
I know the seats in my 3rd row of the Odyssey tilt a bit, but it depends it how much of a tilt I would think, or maybe Julie will tell you it's fine ;-)

The Diplomat has side impact protection, like a Boulevard, but the size of a Roundabout.

Can you fit a RF MA in the center 2nd row? Then put the RA behind the driver? Also, at their ages, the little ones can be more upright and the seat can touch the front seat. That may help you fit a MA there.

If you can fit a MA, then maybe look at a different seat for DH's car - an Apex or even a Recaro Young Sport since C is a lightweight. If #5 happens, I think you are going to have to get a whole new configuration, so you may as well do what works for you now, KWIM?