PDA

View Full Version : Recaro or Compass for Second car booster for small 4 ds

acingit
10-29-2007, 06:23 PM
DS is still in Britax Roundabout in my car, but has outgrown the straps on the Sit 'N Stroll we use in my husband's car or in the babysitter's car, and when traveling. I would like a booster that folds so that we could use it for traveling as well, so was considering the Compass 510 at BRU, but have read good reviews of the Recaro (Start Child or Young Sport), or the Britax Parkway. DS is very slight, 39" and 32lb. I am totally overwhelmed by the choices. Would appreciate any recommendations!
Barbara

Joolsplus2
10-29-2007, 06:42 PM
I wouldn't feel safe putting a kiddo that young and small in a booster, even part time, personally. But the good news is, he's a good candidate for the Recaro Young Sport, Graco Platinum Cargo, or Evenflo Chase or Generations or Triumph Advance...those all have nice tall top slots and should get him another 18-24 months in a harness. The Young Sport/Cargo/Chase/Gens will then turn into decent booster seats (the Young Sport is the best of the bunch, but it's a very heavy seat, not terrific for travel). In a couple years the Compass will fit him very well, or something newer and better will be out there to choose from, or the Ridesafer Travel vest will be a great choice (at 35 pounds) for air travel for shorter trips.

Ask more questions as you narrow down your choices even more...lots of us have these seats and good reviews on them :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/Leah.aspx

acingit
10-29-2007, 07:03 PM
Thank you for the information. The BRU near me has very little in stock, I would probably have to order over the internet, which means DS could not try it out ahead of time. I had read that the Recaro has a good safety reputation, and is well suited for narrow children. Are any of the others particularly suited for them as well? I did love wheeling the sit and stroll through the airports...I need a car seat that is easy to install, since my husband doesn't keep the car seat in his car most of the time, we usually just swap cars when necessary. And at that price, it would be best if it converted to a booster when he outgrew the 5 point harness...
Thanks,
Barbara

Joolsplus2
10-30-2007, 07:11 AM
That's kind of why I was thinking the Evenflo or Graco... they are known to install easily, light for travel, fit small kids fine, become decent boosters later. The Young Sport is REALLY nice, but really super heavy and I hear it can be a tad difficult to install in some cars (I haven't tried it yet, myself...)

acingit
10-30-2007, 07:43 AM
What about the Radian or the Jane? Or are those boosters only?
Barbara

acingit
10-30-2007, 07:43 AM
What about the Radian or the Jane? Or are those boosters only?
Barbara

acingit
10-30-2007, 07:51 AM
Or the Alpha series? Buying our first car seat was so much simpler!
Barbara

Joolsplus2
10-30-2007, 11:52 AM
Radian's great, too! Doesn't become a booster, and is definitely easiest to install in most cars with LATCH, but it harnesses to a high weight and height (my dd was 49 pounds and 49 inches at 7 when she was offically too big for it). Jane's only a booster (nice, but super heavy). The Apex is great, high harness weight and height, fantastic as a booster, but very very bulky...almost as big as a Regent, but maybe half the weight.
:)

acingit
11-02-2007, 01:10 PM
Ok, so I have continued to do research, and here is my new thought. How about if I use the Roundabout as the second car seat until he outgrows that, and invest in the sturdier one for my car, the family car? In that case, I could do either the Recaro (young sport or how about the Signo), or the Radian 80. I also found a Britax dealer near me, but it seems the newer companies our now coming out with the better models. A seat that converts to a booster would be convenient, but at the rate my son is growing, he also may be 7 or 8 before he outgrows it! We actually have built in toddler seats in our volvo, but I don't think they are all that safe, or comfortable, for longer trips, and I only use them for bigger kids (friends or cousins). I can do without the bulk of the Apex, although with only one child the size is not that crucial...
Thanks again,
Barbara