PDA

View Full Version : RideSafer Travel Vest for travel for 4.5 year old?

patti_b
10-30-2007, 04:04 PM
Hi all,

About a year ago, Julie recommended the RideSafer Travel Vest for travel for our then 36 lb 3.5 year old. I ending up not needing it at that time, but may need something for an upcoming trip. He is now 4.5 and about 42 lbs. Would the RideSafer still be the recommendation, or would something else be more suitable at this age/weight?

I usually am traveling by myself with 2 kids; the other is a 2 year old and uses the Scenera as his travel seat, and I can't reasonably manage 2 carseats through the airport and on the plane by myself, so need something travel friendly for the 4.5 year old. The car at our frequent destination does not have latch but does have a top tether hook.

I guess I could take the Scenera and Marathon if that would be better, but man that sounds like a beating for one person.

Thanks for your advice!

Patti

hipmaman
10-30-2007, 08:55 PM
It would still work and you would need lap-and-shoulder seatbelt. The other alternative is the SafeGuard Go with top tether (but installation by seatbelt can be a bit wonky compared to the easy installation by LATCH).

patti_b
10-30-2007, 11:06 PM
A lap-and-shoulder seatbelt is necessary? I thought the RideSafer could be used with either a lap/shoulder belt OR a lapbelt and top tether. My mother's car has a lap belt only in the center position but has a top tether. Would I have to put him in an outer position with the lap/shoulder belt?

Thanks.

Patti

nisi
10-31-2007, 11:23 AM
Yup, RSTV is still a great travel option for a 42lb 4yo. You can't beat it for portability. :)

It's fine to use with a lap belt and tether under a certain weight. I don't have the manual handy so I can't look it up for you, but I know it's at least 50lbs. Your DS is fine in the center of your mother's car.

Nisi
CPS tech and mom to 2 girls, 2/01 and 12/04

hipmaman
10-31-2007, 11:38 AM
>A lap-and-shoulder seatbelt is necessary? I thought the
>RideSafer could be used with either a lap/shoulder belt OR a
>lapbelt and top tether.

Agrhhh, typing too fast and not thinking straight. Apology!

Yes lap-only belt and tether is okay.

hipmaman
10-31-2007, 11:39 AM
>lapbelt and top tether.

hipmaman
10-31-2007, 11:39 AM
>lapbelt and top tether.