PDA

View Full Version : Please help me decide on car seat for my 16month old. Recaro Young Sport or Boulevard

Patti
11-01-2007, 04:36 PM
I was all set to purchase the Young Sport today but have come across some poor reviews regarding the weight limit on the 5 point harness. Apparantly it only goes up to 40 pounds then you use the seat belt. I am looking for a seat that will last a long time (up to the 80 pound weight limit). Is there such a seat that has a point harness for over 40 pounds? My other choice is the Boulevard or Decathalon or Marathon but my husband likes the Recaro. Typical male! Also, what is the recline like on these seats?

o_mom
11-01-2007, 04:46 PM
At 16 months, unless your child is over 33-35 lbs, he should be rear-facing. If he is over 33-35 lbs already, then you need a much higher weight limit on the harness than 40 lbs as he will out grow it before he is ready for a booster. In either case, the Young Sport is not an appropriate seat.

If he is under 33 lbs, then any of the Britax seats you mention or the Recaro Como or Signo would be great choices. All have high height and weight limits and will last until age 5 or 6. At that point you can look at a Britax Regent to harness to age 9-10 or a booster.

If he is over 33 lbs, you can either go with one of those or look at the Britax Regent. The Regent will harness to 80 lbs and fits most kids until age 9-10. However, it expires in 6 years, so you would only be able to use it until about age 7.

kellyotn
11-01-2007, 05:21 PM
What she said. The Young Sport is a GREAT seat for tall skinny 4 year olds, not great for everyone else. A tall, skinny older child could get some use out of the harness, then it becomes a great booster.

It is not ideal for your situation. At only 16 months, you just cannot gauge how long the 40 lb limit will last you. And, yes, the child should most definitely be rearfacing up to the limits of whatever convertible seat you choose. RF protects the spine far better than FF for young toddlers. Their spines are simply not developed as much as that of older kids. The more time you give your child RF, the better chance you have at avoiding a tragic spinal injury.

What seat is the child currently in?

The new Recaro convertibles have gotten good reviews. I haven't used them though. I've had Marathons for a few years now and have been very happy with them. The new Recaros sound like they'd last longer, I believe they have taller harnesses??

Joolsplus2
11-01-2007, 06:36 PM
Recaro Como...best of both worlds :). Brand name for dad, rearfacing safety for baby, harnesses to 70 pounds forward facing.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/Leah.aspx