PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

JBaxter
11-02-2007, 07:39 AM
Here is the issue...

Dh and I are now offically licensed to be foster parents ( but havent gotten the call yet we are only doing 0-6yrs old group)

I checked my spare convertable Evenflo Triumph 5 seat I used for Nathan and guess what... Its EXPIRED! Nathan will be 4 on 11/15 and I think the seat was purchased when he was about 6 months old (grrr)

Anyway I have a Radian that he uses and a Apex 65 I usually keep in DH's car or use if we are having a preschool friend come home with us. That one goes 22-65 w/ 5pt harness and up to 100 with seatbelt.

Now to the question

Would you go ahead and purchase another convertable seat ( like a marathon/FisherPrice/more delux seat) or wait to get a call and stop by walmart and get a Scenera on the way to pick up a child?

I see some great sales and would have to order just about anything ( we are carseat deprived in this area and the target "JUST" started to carry the marathons but are always out of stock :( )

I'd love options/opinions but you would be amazed at what the state says you can raise a child on ( we are not doing it for the $$ btw) Most children show up with little to nothing so they need clothes shoes toys and usually medical care :(

o_mom
11-02-2007, 08:03 AM
Since you have an Apex, the Scenera would be a good choice for RF. The only other suggestion I would have would be to get a Triumph Advance. That would fit almost any kid in the 0-6 range, easy to adjust and not as pricey as a Britax.

Most of the FP seats are going to be at least 6-12 mos old at this point and there are no spare parts, but you can get a Triumph Advance new for the same price. The only complaint I have heard is the tether being too short if you have a minivan or huge SUV and they are working on fixing that. You could keep an eye out for one on sale and if you don't find a deal, get that or a Scenera when you get the call (Target carries them).

You are great people to be doing this, BTW! Ask about any help available at placement time. I have friends who have said they get a gift card to Walmart or Target to help with clothes, etc.

Joolsplus2
11-02-2007, 08:43 AM
A scenera would fit the 0-3/4 agegroup nicely for only $40 (look at the bright side, it fits most kids RF a lot better and a lot longer than the Triumph...though that T shouldn't have expired yet, Evenflo is truly awful about getting their date-stamps right, I might feel inclined to keep using it till 6 years from date of manufacture, personally). Don't think I'd wait for 'the call', as you need time to practice installing the seat...

Anyway, congratulations! That's a wonderful thing you're doing :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/Leah.aspx

JBaxter
11-02-2007, 08:54 AM
BTW the Scenera is now 49.84 :( Not that Im wining about $10 but...

Joolsplus2
11-02-2007, 09:00 AM
Ya know, they do that sometimes, it's weird... it'll go back down, though, just wait :)

JBaxter
11-02-2007, 10:32 AM
OK I found the date of 1/03 on 3 of the stickers on the Evenflo seat. Can I assume that is the date of manufacture?

Joolsplus2
11-02-2007, 10:59 AM
Yes, more than likely. It should probably have been date stamped to december of 2008 or 09, based on that :/.

JBaxter
11-02-2007, 11:13 AM
the date stamped on the seat is due not use after september 2007 ???? Thats why I was confused. On the paper stickers on the seat there is a numbber I am assuming is the model number followed by 1/03.

bubbaray
11-02-2007, 12:48 PM
If there is some question/doubt as to the expiry date on your current seat, I would keep that *temporarily*, until you get your first foster -- or until the Scenara goes on sale in your area. Once you get that first foster (and obviously know the age of the child), if the child will still fit in a Scenara, I'd get one of those at that time.

That gives you a tiny bit of wiggle room. You might also want to pick up a BPB if they go on sale, so that you have yet another extra seat for friends, if you get a foster that will end up using the Apex.

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007