PDA

View Full Version : Now I am confused which convertable for my 11m DS

ilanap11
11-02-2007, 01:41 PM
I thought I knew what I wanted to get the Britax BV. But now when it's time to get one (DS is 30in and outgroing his safeseat) I am second guessing myself if this is a rught choice. Is this seat really the best choice? I saw some recomendations for Radian Recaro and Evenflo Triumph? DS is 30in 22lbs 11m. We drive Honds Pilot, but since we are both working and he stays home with nany we don't travel with hime that much. We will be traveling on plaine at least ones a year to visit our parents and it's 12h flight. so we need the seet to work in the plane too. I think I saw some recomendations for Scenera and I think we could get one if the main one is not working on the plain.

Any advice.

P.S. DS likes to pull everything he sees around. Including the seat belt thar holds his safeseat now. So the seat should not be easy to unlick for the child.

ilanap11
11-02-2007, 01:59 PM
Also I forgot. I always though that with $30 differents the BV is better then MA because of the side wings but is there any advantage to MA over BV?

Joolsplus2
11-02-2007, 02:28 PM
The MA is a little more open and easier to put your kid into... ANY harnessed seat is quite safe in a side impact, so you don't really 'need' the extra headwings on the BV, unless they make you feel quite a bit more comfortable.

I also like the Radian... it's low to load the kiddo into the car, it folds flat for travel/carrying, it installs great in a plane forward facing... I just really like mine (though I loved my Marathon, and like the Scenera fine for travel..I've had a few seats, lol).

Oh, and the Safeseat will last till your baby's head is about an inch from the top of the seat, regardless of overall height... my 21 mo dd still just barely fits in it at 34 inches and 25 pounds!
:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/Leah.aspx

ilanap11
11-02-2007, 02:46 PM
>>"Oh, and the Safeseat will last till your baby's head is about an inch from the top of the seat, regardless of overall height... my 21 mo dd still just barely fits in it at 34 inches and 25 pounds!"

Well I noticed that it depends on how I position him in there. I could just put him lower and he will have a lot more space at the top. But since he is to havy to carry anyway the seat just seat there and it's hard to put him in like that ( he is in the middle seat) I am hoping that convertable will be easy, and I will need one anyway so why not just make the switch. The britax is on clearence now in 2 colors for arount $240. Or should I get a new 2008 model?

How about the Triumph ? Is it good?

niccig
11-03-2007, 04:09 PM
Sorry, but convertibles aren't any easy to load the child into. I know I missed the infant seat once DS got too big for it, especially when I traveled by myself. I had the stroller, the convertible seat, the diaper bag that I had to put through the security scanner, all the while holding DS as I couldn't put him on the grubby floor.

You could keep him in the safeseat while you look for sales. $240 is good, but only if it has a recent date of manufacture. Britax car seats have 6 year expiry, if the seat is already older, then you have less time to use it.

Check out albeebaby.com They normally have something on sale too.

HannaAddict
11-03-2007, 05:30 PM
In my opinion, either Britax (Blvd or MA) is better than the Triumph. Better meaning the straps are nicer, don't twist, feels more solid and comfy both. I have both a Blvd and MA and always wondered about the cheaper seats. We went in my friend's car with her already installed car seats for the first time and I was soooo glad I we were able to afford the Britax models. She had a Triumph and some Graco seat (comfort sport??) and they just didn't seem as solid or nice as the Britax. And the straps were permanently twisted (no one had fixed them) and the seats just weren't user friendly if that makes sense. I spent some time fighting with the straps (my friend did not get it).

I bought the Blvd for our former car that didn't have side air bags. It was since totaled by a cell phone talking driver who failed to yield. I feel fine using the MA rear facing with my one year old (she was 30" and 24 pounds at 10 months) since we have side curtain airbags now. The Blvd actually seemed to overwhelm her at her current size. She couldn't see around the side wings to see her big brother as well as in the MA. :)

Kimberly