PDA

View Full Version : Babies R Us Car Seat Staff UNDERWHELMING!!!

OKKiddo
11-04-2007, 01:33 PM
We finally managed to eek out some time for hubby to come with me to look at convertible car seats yesterday. I called ahead to this BRU to make sure they had a Radian (they SAID they did) and the Boulevard in stock. When we got there they only had the Boulevard. I was peeved of course.

But, to keep the day from being a complete loss, we asked to see the Blvd in our car--installed to make sure it wouldn't cause us issues later. The salesperson in the car seat area immediately got on my bad side. First off he suggested I turn my not even 11 month old FORWARD facing!! Then when he realized he's only 10 1/2 months he said "oh, well, when he's a year then." NOT 1 year and 20lbs even...just one year! And when we said he'll be rear facing for a looong time to the limits of the seat he outright said he "doesn't suggest or recommend it"!!! He said it "makes for a very cranky 3 year old"!

And when I was advised by hubby to let his obvious ignorance on the subject go (he could see I was close to quoting and berating), I once again insisted on seeing the Blvd in my car. The guy again said that Britax fits well in all cars and even when I said that I have a cross over and wanted to make sure--he balked again! Finally, I get my car pulled up to the front entrance and he's standing there with the car seat. He put it in the car unattached and said there you go.!! Noooo, you need to hook that sucker in I want to make sure!

More balking. Finally, he showed me how it hooks in (he was very awkward) and when I asked why it seemed so upright he said "you don't want the convertible at as much of an incline as the infant seat--babies want to sit more upright". I told him about how my son actually doesn't like to be upright so much or he screams and then he ticked me off. He said that if I was looking for a problem or issue I would find it in any car seat. He said Britax is the best on the market if that's what you like.

This was not the one and only sales person in the car seat area who spouted off this stuff. I sought out another one right after to speak with and was sorely disappointed. I didn't even get to try out the Radian to see if it would be a good fit in our car--or possibly a better fit than the Blvd. I did see that with some tweaking the Blvd should be fine in our car (hubby can't sit as far back, lol).

I wish we could boycott BRU to bring attention to their lack of knowledge and outright misinformation! These guys are the ONLY source of info that many people will hear. Scary.

ellies mom
11-04-2007, 02:39 PM
It is frighteningly scary that this is the only source of information that most people get. Their people are so uneducated that it is a shame. We are lucky enough to have a really good specialty store in the area. It is way on the other side of our metro area but it is well worth the drive. They have multiple CPS techs on staff and they have no problem dragging multiple seats out to your car to try out and they install it for you as well as show you how. It is a shame Babies R Us couldn't at least have a few employees that know what they are doing.

Joolsplus2
11-04-2007, 04:01 PM
You just described about 99% of BRUs.... sigh... They had a Radian, though? I didn't think they carried them?

Yeah, I wouldn't have let him anywhere near the seat in my car...they should have taken your driver's license and let you do it alone, so he could stay on the floor selling AOE's or something...

What car? I'm sure it could be easily tweaked to fit at least as well as your infant seat does (ie, doesn't have to take up front to back leg room in the front seat, even with a good recline).

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/Leah.aspx

OKKiddo
11-04-2007, 07:29 PM
Julie,

We have the Ford Freestyle 2007. I LOVE my car! It's got seating for 7 and cost half as much as the Honda Odyssey Mini Van and it's not a mini van. It's a cross over so it's kinda like an SUV (looks mostly like SUV) and kinda like a car. It's not a problem having his BLVD behind the driver seat if I drive--only if hubby does which is strange because he's only 2 inches taller than me but he insists on putting the seat all the way back (lenghtwise not recline). Silly man.

So, we'll probably put the BLVD behind the passenger seat instead. I know center is best but latch is only on the outboard seats in the second row and I'm not putting him in the third row just yet. I'll probably end up buying a pool noodle or something to help the recline just a bit more. That's how we tweaked the snugride to get the recline that he needed in that. I'm NOT going back to having him scream bloody murder when riding in the car seat! NO WAY! lol.

Joolsplus2
11-04-2007, 08:00 PM
Ok, gotcha :).

You'll probably love the BV, I think... and the way to do the recline is the top tether...you hook it up when it's rearfacing, and tighten it up to get a good recline, loosen it up to make it more upright (not a HUGE difference, but should rule out using a noodle, and it's also a pretty nice safety feature).

I never sweat putting my kids outboard...center seats can be such a pain :P

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/Leah.aspx

pastrygirl
11-07-2007, 08:56 AM
How frustrating!!! I was in the BRU car seat section once and a woman was looking for a convertible for her tiny, tiny 1-year-old to FF. The salesman pointed and waved by all the Britax seats and said "don't even look at those." I went up to the front to report him! I doubt they did anything about it, though.

Cristina
mom to Toby, 6/10/06