PDA

View Full Version : Did I do something horribly unsafe??

nfowife
11-07-2007, 10:33 PM
I was walking a friend out to her car from my house tonight and her seats were just HORRIBLY installed. She has a RF RA, it was super loose and sliding all over with the seatbelt (she didn't even know that the belt locked or how to do it), not tethered RF, etc. I redid the harness (she borrowed it from a friend and didn't move the harness down for her 5 month old and they were at the highest slot), reinstalled using LATCH, and tethered RF for her. A-ok on that one.
Her other seat for her 2 year old was some sort of Safety 1st combo seat. It was installed so loose and she didn't even know that she was supposed to top tether the seat (this is a friend who went to law school... umm hello ever hear of reading the instructions?? anyway...). So, I tried to tighten the latch but it just was not working. I couldn't get it to tighten, it was pitch black outside and cold, the baby's screaming. So I said forget LATCH and installed it with the belt and then top tethered it which is much much better. But I couldn't get the latch hooks unhooked. It is loose so I think it is okay for now and I will unhook the latch hooks next time I see her (probably Friday morning at the gym) but I couldn't see a thing and couldn't do it by feeling them. Do you think if G-d forbid she got into an accident it would be okay since the LATCH is not tightened but the belt is?
I really hope so!!

Joolsplus2
11-08-2007, 08:43 AM
She's lucky she has you for a friend! :)

No sweat about the LATCH and belt, esp if the LATCH is loose.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/Leah.aspx

KTARS
11-08-2007, 08:48 AM
Yeah, those cheap LATCH clips are soooo hard to get off.

It always amazes me that the most well educated people don't read directions and do things soo obviously wrong. I have some laywer friends that turn their kids FF at like 8 months because "everyone else does" ...

nfowife
11-08-2007, 10:44 AM
Yeah, I'm just used to the britax latch clips which have the little button to open them, so these were super hard. I broke 3 nails and scratched my hand just trying to either tighten it or get it undone! Glad to know she is safe :) . On a side note, wow I am so glad I have a Britax. Those cheaper seats just don't install as solidly! I kept trying to get it tighter and tighter, and had to settle for just "tight". But nowhere near as solid and tight as I can easily get my Marathons, you know?
Thanks!

Joolsplus2
11-08-2007, 11:31 AM
Oy yes, do I know... I've got a Scenera I'm trying to use for DH's car, but he keeps taking it out (and lost the locking clip? I'm SO not happy about that...:P), and I think I'll just give up and put the Roundabout in his car just so I don't have to deal with that Scenera any more...

Yeah, you have to push the hook in further/deeper, then push the metal flap up, and then give the whole hook a half twist, then it should pull right out... it's definitely a pain, but easy after the first time you do it and figure it out.
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/Leah.aspx

niccig
11-08-2007, 05:39 PM
I'm not sure what seat it was that you couldn't get in with Latch, but this is my trick for latch with a non-Britax seat.

Connect the latch anchors
Pull up the cover of the seat
Thread the end of the latch strap that you will pull on, back through the belt path.
Put your knee into the seat
Now pull it tight.

You'll be pulling the latch strap horizontally along the strap and your hand will be in the middle of the seat.

If I don't thread the end of the latch strap back through the belt path, I will be pulling it vertically beside the seat, and there is no way I can get it to tighten. I think it has something to do with the angle of the belt. I've had to do this with both a Cosco seat and a Safety First seat, and then I can get them as tight as my Britax seats.

Good for you for helping your friend.
Can you teach her what you did so she can replicate it when she moves the seat?

Nicci