PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a carseat for a 4 yr old

Lori810
11-12-2007, 01:08 PM
Ok, so I made some poor carseat decisions early on, and now am paying the price (literally). In my husband's car, which we use much less often, I bought an Evenflo Triumph for my daughter. Of course, she outgrew it pretty fast so I bought an Evenflor combo booster/carseat thinking she'd outgrow it when she was 5/6 and then I could use it as a booster. Well, she has outgrown it now, surprise surprise.

I don't want her in a booster yet - am I right to assume she is safer in a carseat still? She is 36 lbs and about 42 inches tall.

I guess I am assuming I need to buy a Britax Marathon/Boulevard/Decathlon/Regent (one of those)? Or is there another option to consider? I am leaning towards the Marathon since I can find them for $220 and this is a second car (we have the Boulevards in my car and as nice as they are, I don't want to shell out another $300).

Thanks!
Lori

Joolsplus2
11-12-2007, 01:30 PM
How has she outgrown the Evenflo Combo? Are her shoulders above the top slots? They are about the same height slots as the MA or BV, so I'm not sure buying MA's would be a good use of your money at this point (how much room does she have left in the BV?)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/Leah.aspx

Lori810
11-12-2007, 02:15 PM
Her shoulders are above the top straps on her Evenflo (I am pretty sure it is a "Generations.") She seems to have plenty of room in her Boulevard though. Is the Boulevard that much taller than the Marathon? Where does the Decathlon fit into that?

bubbaray
11-12-2007, 04:40 PM
The Generations top slot is about 1/2" lower than the MA. IIRC, the top slot height is the same on the MA/Blvd/DC. The Regent has super high slots -- the highest on the market. The RN is another option, the top slots are about 1/2" higher than the MA, so probably almost 1" higher than your Generations. I would go with the Regent and keep her harnessed as long as possible, but the RN would keep her harnessed for a while (but not as long).

We went from a MA to a RN for my DD#1 in both cars (and DD#2 is in the MAs now). If it installs well in your car, its a nice choice as an interim measure before the Regent or a BPB.

HTH

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

Lori810
11-12-2007, 07:39 PM
What is a BPB?

I assume the RN is the Radian? Is that considered a good carseat, on par with Britax?

Sounds like the Regent is my best bet then, huh?

What do you think is a safer (better) seat, the Decathlon or the Regent?

Thanks,
Lori

bubbaray
11-12-2007, 11:08 PM
BPB = belt positioning booster -- no harness. Like a Graco TurboBooster or Britax Parkway....

RN = Radian.

RNs are a bit more finicky than most Britax seats. RNs are heavy (steel frame) and have install issues in some cars. But, they are narrow, which makes fitting multiple seats across easier for many people. They are also a lower profile to the seat than most other seats, so it is super easy for toddlers and preschoolers to climb into the seat on their own, which isn't always the case when climbing into a Britax MA. That can be a big help for PG moms or if your car is hard to get kids into, etc.. The RN is also FAA approved, which makes it great for travel (assuming you don't have to actually carry it -- remember the first thing I said was it was heavy!).

If your DD still sleeps in the car, I'm not sure I'd get a Regent (yet). I've not talked to too many people who think their child is comfy sleeping in the Regent. Its also a big, heavy seat that can make it hard to get multiple seats across in many vehicles. And, its not FAA approved, so if you want to use it on a plane you're SOL.

I'll leave it to the techs to tell you which is better, the DC or the Regent. From what I know, they aren't really comparable. The DC is usually compared to the MA or the Blvd -- all three are convertible seats that can be used RFg or FFg. The RN is also a convertible seat that can be used RFg or FFg. IIRC, the MA is the more "basic" of the three. The DC has the infant padding and the Blvd has the SIP and the harness that you can adjust without uninstalling the seat. If you have an older child and your vehicle has side airbags, you probably don't need the extras of the DC or the Blvd, so a MA would be a better seat for your needs at this time. IIRC, the top harness slots are pretty close in the MA/DC/Blvd. Like I said, the top slots are quite a bit higher in the RN. And, they are even higher still in the Regent.

The Regent is technically a harnessed booster seat. It can only be used FFg.

I would probably try out the MA, the RN and the Regent IRL if possible.

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

801kelle
11-13-2007, 10:39 AM
QUOTE ON INFO ON THOSE THREE CAR SEATS FROM BRITAX WEBSITE:

Marathon info:

Forward Facing 20 lbs. - 65 lbs. up to 49'' 12'' - 16''

Boulevard info:

Decathon info:

ACTUALLY THE CAPACITIES ARE ALL THE SAME!

I have my 4.5 yo.. 41 inch, 30 lb daughter in a REGENT. It goes to 53 inches tall and 80 lbs. IT IS A 5 POINT HARNESS YOUTH SEATWE LOVE LOVE IT. She still fits in her Marathon because we have a Marathon too.. but I don't think that is your answer..

Here is link on Britax website you can read about Regent:

http://www.britaxusa.net/products/product_detail.aspx?ID=9

Some other things to consider about keeping your child in five point harness:

This info below is comparing a 5 pt harness booster car seat to a booster seat you use a vehicle seat belt with ..but still gets point across..

Safety advantages over securing your child in a booster seat using the adult seatbelt.

* The crash forces are spread over the skeletal body

over five points rather than three.

* The crash forces are spread to the strongest parts

of the child's body.

* Forward head excursion (the distance the head is

thrown forward) are lessened.

* The child is secured in the correct seating position rather

than being able to wiggle around, lean forward etc.

Here is link to website this quote came from:

http://www.kyledavidmiller.org/pages/4211/Car_Seat_Safety:_5-point_Harness_is_Safest.htm

Another great piece of info:

The NHTSA now recommends that children stay in appropriate car seats through 8 years, 80 pounds, or up to 4'9". Many states have amended their laws to follow these guidelines. More on this in an upcoming newsletter.

Article quote above came from:

http://www.inventiveparent.com/rearfacingcarseat.htm

HOPE THIS HELPS!!!!!!!