PDA

View Full Version : best *cheap* convertible carseat, preferably smaller

littlecindy
11-13-2007, 02:47 PM
we'll be getting a roundabout for our car, but we'll need a second convertible carseat for daycare. any recommendations on a cheap carseat? it will be used maybe once a week and i can't justify getting another britax. longevity is probably the other thing to consider besides price. we went with the rounadbout in our car, because of space (our car is tiny). so maybe a marathon for a 2nd seat is worth the extra money if space isn't a concern?

o_mom
11-13-2007, 03:10 PM
A Cosco Scenera is only $40 and lasts most kids to age 3.

For your car, I would consider a Marathon if at all possible. It will last longer rear-facing and forward-facing. It really doesn't take up more space than an infant seat. The Roundabout is usually outgrown rear-facing by height well before 33 lbs. and around age 3-3.5 forward facing. What kind of car do you have?

Another possibility is a Compass True-Fit ($180). They are coming out in December. It has a removable headrest so that it can fit in smaller spaces rear-facing. You can use it without the headrest to 22 lbs and with the headrest to 33 (35?)lbs. The idea is that by the time they are 22 lbs, they can be more upright to accomodate the extra height. Then it goes to 65 lbs forward-facing.

littlecindy
11-14-2007, 02:24 PM
we have a saab but it's really a suburu impreza wagon with a sagon logo and some upgrades from a suburu. the backseat is tiny.

Joolsplus2
11-14-2007, 02:43 PM
If you can sit in front of an infant seat, you can put a Marathon rearfacing in your car :). If you are cramped in front of an infant seat, you'll be happier with a Roundabout, for sure :)

I'd go with a Marathon for your "second" seat because it will last about 2-3 years longer than the Roundabout when forward facing. Though the Scenera is even lighter for traveling than the Roundabout, but not as easy to install.

That Compass True Fit might well be really great, if only it comes out soon enough....

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/Leah.aspx

littlecindy
11-14-2007, 02:48 PM
>If you can sit in front of an infant seat, you can put a
>Marathon rearfacing in your car :). If you are cramped in
>front of an infant seat, you'll be happier with a Roundabout,
>for sure :)
>
>I'd go with a Marathon for your "second" seat because it will
>last about 2-3 years longer than the Roundabout when forward
>facing. Though the Scenera is even lighter for traveling than
>the Roundabout, but not as easy to install.
>
>That Compass True Fit might well be really great, if only it
>comes out soon enough....
>
>:)
>Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
>http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/Leah.aspx

we're getting our convertible seat for a christmas gift and we've already requested the roundabout :( the compass true fit sounds great, though.

we are very cramped in our front seat with the infant seat. it works now only because the seat comes out and then someone can actually sit up there. so i guess the roundabout is the right decision.

thanks for all the advice!