PDA

View Full Version : car seat for a tall toddler

goldie76
11-14-2007, 06:41 PM
My son will be 2 in December. He is 36 lbs. and 38 inches. He has grown out of the Britax Roundabout - the shoulder strap slots are beneath his shoulders. What's the best next step? I am thinking the Regent, but am also looking at combos (harness and booster). The problem with just about all the harnesses I have looked at is that my son is already too big for them - his shoulders are above the top harness slots. Does anyone know of any harness slots that are extra high? The Regent is 20 inches (my son measures at 17 inches, rear to shoulder) . . . but I was really hoping to get a combo . . . thanks! He's not ready for a plain booster, right?

Melissa

Joolsplus2
11-14-2007, 08:00 PM
At least three years to go before he can sit in a plain booster, yup. And since he's really just so big, I think the Regent is really the way to go, honestly. It should keep him comfortably and safely harnessed till at least 5, maybe 7 if he's leggy, and then he can go to a regular booster (highback as long as he fits in one, they are MUCH safer than no-backs). A combo still really wouldn't be a good choice.. maybe the Cosco Apex (which only has 17 inch top slots, might not last very long harnessed), but it will probably expire before he's ready for just the adult seatbelt (somewhere between age 8 and 12, depending on the kid and the car) and you'd have to buy another seat anyway.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/Leah.aspx

goldie76
11-14-2007, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the great information. Now, we like to have a car seat in each vehicle our son rides in . . . he rides with me most of the time, but we have a seat in my husband's car as well as each grandparents' car . . . that is 4 total. We will definitely get the Regent for my car, but any ideas about the other 3? It is hard to imagine spending over $1000 . . . prior to this, we used a Britax Roundabout in my car, and a Graco ComfortSport in the other 3. Thanks!

bubbaray
11-15-2007, 05:39 PM
2 Regents for you and your DH's cars, 2 Apexs for the GPs for now, and switch to other boosters when he's much older.

Anything will be better than your ComfortSports!

HTH

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

801kelle
11-18-2007, 11:20 AM
I have 2 Regents for my 4.5 yo daughter who is 40 lbs and 41 inches tall. WE LOVE

What I love most is that .. she will be in this until she is big enough and it is safe enough for her to use a vehicle seat belt.

This info below is comparing a 5 pt harness booster car seat to a booster seat you use a vehicle seat belt with ..but still gets point across..

Safety advantages over securing your child in a booster seat using the adult seatbelt.

* The crash forces are spread over the skeletal body

over five points rather than three.

* The crash forces are spread to the strongest parts

of the child's body.

* Forward head excursion (the distance the head is

thrown forward) are lessened.

* The child is secured in the correct seating position rather

than being able to wiggle around, lean forward etc.

Here is link to website this quote came from:

http://www.kyledavidmiller.org/pages/4211/Car_Seat_Safety:_5-point_Harness_is_Safest.htm

ALSO new info from NHTSA:

The NHTSA now recommends that children stay in appropriate car seats through 8 years, 80 pounds, or up to 4'9". Many states have amended their laws to follow these guidelines

801kelle
11-18-2007, 12:24 PM
Some things to consider:

This is comparing a 5 pt harness booster car seat to a booster seat you use a vehicle seat belt with ..but still gets point across..

safety advantages over securing your child in a booster seat using the adult seatbelt.

* The crash forces are spread over the skeletal body

over five points rather than three.

* The crash forces are spread to the strongest parts

of the child's body.

* Forward head excursion (the distance the head is

thrown forward) are lessened.

* The child is secured in the correct seating position rather

than being able to wiggle around, lean forward etc.

Here is link to website this quote came from:

http://www.kyledavidmiller.org/pages/4211/Car_Seat_Safety:_5-point_Harness_is_Safest.htm

The NHTSA now recommends that children stay in appropriate car seats through 8 years, 80 pounds, or up to 4'9". Many states have amended their laws to follow these guidelines.

goldie76
11-18-2007, 08:42 PM
Bought the Britax Regent this weekend and it is great. Now, for the Cosco Apex - is there a difference between the following:

Safety 1st Deluxe High Back Belt Positioning Booster
Safety 1st Apex 65 Booster Car Seat
Cosco 22535CDE Safety 1st Apex 65 Booster Car Seat Calder

They all look the same . . . my biggest concern would be the top height for the harness, so that my 38-inch son can stay harnessed for as long as possible.

Joolsplus2
11-19-2007, 11:54 AM
All the same, just different names and covers... top slots about 17 inches :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/Leah.aspx