PDA

View Full Version : Help with safest carseat installation spot/direction?

daisymommy
11-16-2007, 05:32 PM
I know that the "sweet-spot" in your car is the middle seat, middle-row, and rear facing. And up until last week, that's where Hannah was, in her Boulevard, in the middle row of our Toyota Sienna Minivan, which has side curtain airbags on all three rows (I felt so safe with her there!).

But she was sitting next to Joshua (who's seat was in the outboard postion), and they were fighting like cats and dogs, Hannah was crying and screaming because she couldn't see out the window (darn Boulevard wings!) and was terribly board (I was handing toys and snacks over to her left and right...bad, I know), it was terrible. I was afraid of getting into an accident!

So I had the choice of:
A) Turning her forward facing so she could see out the front window, see mommy, and hopefully be happy, but leave her in the center seat.

B) Leaving her rearfacing, but moving her to the outboard position so she was closer to the window (still has to lean around the "wings" though)--but away from her brother, to at least stop that reason for the screams and cries.

And I chose Option B--Because I constantly hear from you gals that rear facing is best. But now I'm worried about her being next to the door...all 21 lbs. of her little peanut self! And the fast that she trys to lean around the wings. Should I be worried? Did I do the right thing?

hillview
11-16-2007, 05:50 PM
Good to have her outboard and RF. RF is the best option period. I think you made the right decision!
/hillary

Joolsplus2
11-16-2007, 06:17 PM
ding ding ding ding ding... option B is the winner!
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/Leah.aspx

SAHMommie
11-17-2007, 09:39 PM
Good choice going with option B.

SAHMommie

daisymommy
11-18-2007, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the reasurrance and weighing in on the topic. It's soooo much quieter with her away from Joshua, and I do think she can at least see out the window somewhat better now.