PDA

View Full Version : Is there a harnessed seat that doesn't look like a "baby seat?"

Karenn
11-16-2007, 07:17 PM
We had a friend in our car the other day. He saw DD in her Evenflo Triumph and told her she was in a "baby carseat." That obviously didn't go over too well! DS (5) is just about to break 40 lbs and usually rides in a marathon. DD(3) is 32 lbs but 37 inches. She'll be ready to grow out of her Triumph soon, and it expires in a year anyway.

What should my next seat be? Should I let DD have the marathon and get something more "grown up" for DS? Or get a new seat for DD? I like the idea of having them both harnessed for as long as possible, but it'd be great to avoid the "baby" comments for both of them.

bubbaray
11-16-2007, 07:23 PM
I've had to deal with this with DD#1. A girl at daycare (who started riding in a low-back belt-positioning booster at age TWO) told her she had a "seat for babies". Well, after she left, I told DD#1 that she is in her harnessed seat because it is safer and I want her to be safe because I love her. Period, end of discussion. IIRC, DD#1 was around 3 at the time of that conversation.

If YOU want to move seats, then that's a different discussion. I'd get a Regent for you oldest. If you only have a year in your MA, I'd get your DD a Radian when the MA expire. It has higher top slots, lower profile seat, etc. But, honestly, I wouldn't get a seat just because of your DD not liking riding in a "baby seat".

JMHO.

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

Karenn
11-16-2007, 07:31 PM
"I wouldn't get a seat just because of your DD not liking riding in a "baby seat".

No, I wouldn't either. We're gettting a new seat because we need a new seat. I figure as long as I'm going to get a new seat, I'd like to get the least "baby looking" seat I can find. No sense putting up with all of the "baby" comments if they can be avoided by simply choosing a different seat. :)

Joolsplus2
11-16-2007, 07:35 PM
Welcome to the world of peer pressure... stay strong, mama! ;)

Radian's really nice, Safeguard, either the big spendy child seat or the Go are great. Cosco Apex is good. And I love the Regent. Lots of good choices out there.

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/Leah.aspx

Karenn
11-16-2007, 07:56 PM
Of all of those, which one tends to install the easiest? (And please don't tell me it's the $3XX Safeguard! ;) That's one expensive carseat!) I love how easily my Marathon fits in my Sienna. It's a breeze and I'm spoiled!

hipmaman
11-16-2007, 11:22 PM
>Of all of those, which one tends to install the easiest? (And
>please don't tell me it's the $3XX Safeguard! ;) That's one
>expensive carseat!) I love how easily my Marathon fits in my
>Sienna. It's a breeze and I'm spoiled!

I would probably say SafeGuard (oops, sorry!) especially w/ 'unlockable' seatbelt retractor because the SG has lock-offs, then the SG Go, Radian and Apex. Let's see what Julie or others say :)

Joolsplus2
11-17-2007, 05:07 PM
Yeah, once you own something, it's easy to sing it's praises :D...I do think the safeguard is easiest...probably followed by the Apex...well, the Go is super duper easy with LATCH, but definitely not as comfy for day to day riding...Regent's a pain at first, but once you learn it, eh, no sweat :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/Leah.aspx

calebsmama03
11-17-2007, 06:06 PM
We have a Radian and DS (age 4.5, 41in, 36lb) LOVES it. It sits lower so it has more of a booster look to it. It can be a tricky install, but if it fits right in your car it is a breeze. We've had a Britax galaxy, cosco touriva and the radian and it is by far the easiest to install. The "go" is a cool looking seat but I've never tried it.

Here is a thread where people have been reporting radian successful installs - I searched for Sienna
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?p=254000&highlight=sienna#post254000

801kelle
11-18-2007, 11:25 AM
Regent is a youth seat. It is big and roomy

Height limit is 53 inches and weight limit is 80 lbs.

We have 2 and our daughter is 40 lbs and 41 inches tall. She loves it.

www.britaxusa.com

801kelle
11-18-2007, 11:25 AM
Regent is a youth seat. It is big and roomy

Height limit is 53 inches and weight limit is 80 lbs.

We have 2 and our daughter is 40 lbs and 41 inches tall. She loves it.

www.britaxusa.com

daisymommy
11-18-2007, 05:23 PM
Joshua loves his big black Regent. Totally looks like a race car driver's seat! I know you are looking for a girl's seat, but I'm sure a girly seat cover would look just as grown-up :)