PDA

View Full Version : Re: the snuzzler

beckych
11-17-2007, 10:26 AM
Someone mentioned this in another thread, and I wasn't familiar with it, so I looked it up. This is what it says on the Kiddopotamus website:

Many of our car seat accessories have undergone rigorous crash tests by accredited United States agencies to ensure that they meet the highest safety standards. The FMVSS 213 crash test is promulgated pursuant to the rule making authority of the National Highway Transportation Administration (NHTSA). Kiddopotamus car seat accessories are designed with thin materials behind the harnessed portion of the baby so that the harness straps can be kept as snug as possible. (Caregivers should never use car seat accessories that add bulk behind the baby which may require the harness straps to be loosened.)

So, it's fine? I don't have one and don't plan on getting one, but what do you think of this?

HannaAddict
11-17-2007, 03:52 PM
I wouldn't take that paragraph as making it fine to use a Snuzzler with a car seat. The paragraph doesn't really say much. it does not say that the Snuzzler has been crash tested with various car seats or that it is safe to use and approved. You need to see what the seat manufacturer says about using something not included with their car seat. Having seen a Snuzzler and thinking they work great with a stroller for a newborn, I would NOT use one with a car seat. I do like the Posh Pouch by Kiddopotmus, it is a cover that goes over the infant car seat with gather elastic and doesn't interfere with the tightness of the seat straps.

Just my impression.

Kimberly

Joolsplus2
11-17-2007, 04:44 PM
It would be fine, IF there were anything in FMVSS 213 that even mentioned 'aftermarket products'...there's not. I mean, it might have been fine on the test bench and in the seat they put it in (the test would have been to make sure the infant seat doesn't lay down too flat in a crash...that's it)...but would it be fine in the dozen other carseat models, in the dozens of real cars on the road?

I tend to worry that the belt slots don't line up right with the harness...that can lead to a lot of extra slack in the harness that may be enough to eject the child (and remember 99% of kids are improperly restrained or the seats are improperly installed)...adding 'even one extra thing...' to make them have even looser harnesses could be the straw that makes the baby fly out of the carseat...
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/Leah.aspx