PDA

View Full Version : Yet another which 5-point harness seat question

Misu
11-19-2007, 05:05 AM
Hi,
This is my first post with this user name. I have been a LOOOONG time lurker, and I may have posted previously a few times under another user name, but I am traveling now, and I couldn't remember my user name/password (or even what my user name was).

Anyway.... it's time to move my 3yo up to a bigger carseat. Here are some considerations:

DD1 is 3 yo (just turned 3 in Sept), 39 inches and approx 36 pounds. At her 3 yr checkup, she was 90th percentile for height and 75% for weight. She is currently in a RA (one each in my car and DH's car). She is fast approaching the top limit (in terms of where her ears are in relation to top of seat) of the RA. We want to move her into a big girl seat ASAP. DD2 (7 mos) will move up into the RAs.

I'd like to keep DD1 harnessed as long as possible. I bought a Regent from BRU to try out, and returned it, because it just seemed sooooo HUGE. If it turns out the Regent is really the best option for us, I am not opposed to giving it another shot.

My car is a 2002 Honda CR-V. DH drives a 2003 Subaru Outback. She'll be in my car 99% of the time on weekdays, and DH's car frequently on the weekends.

It would be good if at least one of the seats is easy to install/move, because we will probably just do that when we visit with the grandparents, rather than buy another carseat for their car. (Or, maybe we'll just buy an Apex or something for their car.)

As far as budget, money is a consideration, but not the primary concern. I know all carseats sold are safe, but first and foremost I'd like the 5-point harness, and ease of installation. It would be good to have some more modest recommendations, in addition to the big $$ ones.

Sooooo.... given those considerations, what seats would you ladies suggest I look at? I truly appreciate any and all advice, and can provide more details as needed.

o_mom
11-19-2007, 08:50 AM
The Regent will give you the longest harnessing time of any seat out there. It is big, but you get used to it. Another option would be a Sunshine Kids Radian 65. It has tall top slots and most kids will get to age 6 in it (a reasonable booster age), Britax-like quality and sits lower to the seat like the Regent, but very narrow and folds for travel.

The Apex is a good second seat, but you need to make sure that there is a headrest or seatback behind it in every car.

You could also considera a Triumph Advance ($130) which harnesses to 50 lbs. The only complaint I have heard is that the tether is too short for some cars, but they are supposed to be fixing that.

Misu
11-20-2007, 02:52 AM
Does anyone have any experience installing the Radian in either a CR-V or Outback of similar vintage?
Also was reading recently about new Recaro seats (Como and Signo?) -- are those worth investigating?

Thanks!

o_mom
11-20-2007, 08:20 AM
I don't think anyone has had trouble with LATCH installs and Subaru approves LATCH to 60 lbs. Seatbelt in the Subaru may be tougher. I haven't heard anything specific on the CRV that I remember.

I think people are kind of waiting to see if Recaro can work out the bugs. The Como is having lockoff issues and the Signo may be shippig again soon after a false start. Recaro CS has been the pits through all of it. Both of them sit up higher on the base than a Marathon, so they are very tall.

Misu
11-20-2007, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the input, o_mom. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Also, what happened to the pinned topic that included a list of higher weight limit 5 point harnesses? Maybe I'm just not seeing it...

Thanks again!

801kelle
11-21-2007, 11:26 AM
Here are all the specs on the carseats I have researched..

Always remember that when your child reaches either capacity first then you need to get a different seat. So if they reach weight limit or height limit first it is time to upgrade.

WE have 2 REGENTS.. We love them.. my daughter is 4.5 yo daugther who is 40 lbs and 41 inches tall.

Also here is some great info on 5 point harness seats compared to high back booster seats that you use a seat belt with:

Safety advantages over securing your child in a booster seat using the adult seatbelt.

* The crash forces are spread over the skeletal body

over five points rather than three.

* The crash forces are spread to the strongest parts

of the child's body.

* Forward head excursion (the distance the head is

thrown forward) are lessened.

* The child is secured in the correct seating position rather

than being able to wiggle around, lean forward etc.

Here is link to website this quote came from:

http://www.kyledavidmiller.org/pages/4211/Car_Seat_Safety:_5-point_Harness_is_Safest.htm

Also some great info from the NHTSA:

The NHTSA now recommends that children stay in appropriate car seats through 8 years, 80 pounds, or up to 4'9". Many states have amended their laws to follow these guidelines.

On the REGENT:

Product weight 26.1 lbs.

Seat Base / Foot Width 21.5"

Seat height 30"

Interior seat width 14"

Interior seat back height 28"

Bottom to lowest harness slot 11.5"

Bottom to highest harness slot 20"

Min child weight 22 lbs.

Max child weight 80 lbs.

Min child weight - Forward Facing mode 22 lbs.

Max child weight - Forward facing mode 80 lbs.

Max harness weight capacity 80 lbs.

Minimum weight for booster mode n/a

Min child height 19"

Max child height 53"

Min child height - Forward facing mode 19"

Max 5-pt harness child height capacity 53"

Min height for booster use n/a

Exterior Seat Depth 22"

On the SAFEGUARD:

Product weight 24 lbs.

Seat Base / Foot Width 19"

Seat height 28"

Bottom to lowest harness slot 12.5"

Bottom to highest harness slot 19"

Min child weight 22 lbs.

Max child weight 65 lbs.

Min child weight - Forward Facing mode 22 lbs.

Max child weight - Forward facing mode 65 lbs.

Max harness weight capacity 65 lbs.

Minimum weight for booster mode 22 lbs.

Min child height 34"

Max child height 57"

Max 5-pt harness child height capacity 57"

Min height for booster use 34"

Max weight child be is 65 lbs. and max height is 57 inches.

Which I don't understand how they can say 4 inches more on max height than Regent when the Regent seat height is 2 inches taller than the safeguard?

RADIAN 80

Min child weight 5 lbs.

Max child weight 80 lbs.

Rear-facing minimum weight 5 lbs.

Max child weight - Rear Facing mode 33 lbs.

Min child weight - Forward Facing mode 20 lbs.

Max child weight - Forward facing mode 80 lbs.

Max harness weight capacity 80 lbs.

Min child height n/a

Max child height 49"

Min child height - Forward facing mode n/a

Max 5-pt harness child height capacity 49"

Min height for booster use n/a

Car seat dimensions

Product weight 20.5 lbs.

Seat Base / Foot Width 17"

Seat height 28.5"

Interior seat width 11.4"

Bottom to lowest harness slot 8"

Bottom to highest harness slot 18"

Seat weight (without base) 20.5 lbs.

ON THE COSCO APEX 65

LATCH equipped for forward-facing 22-65 lbs.
• High-back belt-positioning booster 40-100 lbs. and up to 57� in height
• 5-point internal harness system
• Up-front harness adjustment
• 3-position adjustable headrest
• Detachable cup holder
• Toddler insert
• Fixed padded armrests

SO If you are wanting to keep your child in a 5 point harness.. AS LONG AS POSSIBLE These are good choices...

REGENT is to 80 lbs

Safeguard is to 65 lbs

Radian is to 80 lbs

COSCO APEX 65 is to 65 lbs