PDA

View Full Version : Travel Seat Help

Jen7
11-19-2007, 03:00 PM
Hello All! I'm back after lurking 2+ years ago (thanks to all for great postings that helped me make decisions back then!). I am now picking another seat for an almost 3 year-old, for travel. I currently have a Marathon and a Scenera. I've used the Scenara for plane travel before, but am looking for something more portable for upcoming plane and taxi travel in Chicago, and then plane and car travel to/in Europe next fall. My criteria are: lightweight, portable, approved for airline use, easy to tote around (like when we take a taxi and then are walking the destination with the stroller) and probably with side/head protection as well. Compass? Turbo Booster or similar that comes apart? Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!!

Jen

Joolsplus2
11-19-2007, 04:58 PM
A booster wouldn't be an acceptable option quite yet (not till age 5 ish, and isn't exactly good for tooling around town)... I'd go with either the RideSafer Travel Vest (size small, assuming your kiddo is over 35 pounds) or Eddie Bauer Portable (not a great choice, but good for taxis in a pinch). The only thing approved for airline use is the CARES harness or a real carseat.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/Leah.aspx

Jen7
11-19-2007, 09:02 PM
Thanks. I wasn't sure about boosters - many say 30 lbs and up. I'll probably stick with the Scenera for the plane.

Joolsplus2
11-20-2007, 05:33 PM
Yeah, they say 30 for the skinny kids who are too tall for regular harnessed seats. Three year olds are still at substantially higher risk of head injury in boosters, owing to their much larger heads, skeletal immaturity, and immaturity overall that can keep them from remaining buckled properly. A 30 pound 4.5 or 5 yo is just a lot more physically able to tolerate the reduced protection a booster provides than a 3 yo is. (We'd ALL be safer harnessed, actually, lol)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/Leah.aspx