PDA

View Full Version : Need booster or carseat for 2nd car with lap belts only

aa2mama
11-19-2007, 08:31 PM
My almost-4yo DS is outgrowing his carseat in DH's car. We need another carseat or booster to replace it, and I'm not sure what will be our best bet. DH's car is a 1986(!) Honda Civic with lap belts only. DS is 40 inches and 38.5lbs and just turning 4.

My car is a 2003 Dodge Stratus, and he currently rides in a Marathon. My latest thoughts are to switch the Marathon to the Honda and buy a Radian 65 for my car. Does this sound like a good plan?

While we're at it, we're looking for a convertible seat for 9mo DD, as well.

I want to keep my children as safe as possible, but DH sees the dollar signs so budget-friendly suggestions are appreciated.

o_mom
11-19-2007, 09:04 PM
Warning, some long rambly thoughts ahead...

How much room does he have height-wise in the Marathon? If you think Dh will still have this car when he outgrows the Marathon, then you should probably consider a Regent for that car. A lap belt is not really safe for anyone, it just prevents you from becoming a projectile :-(. Anyway, a Regent in there would keep him harnessed for a very long time, but you may have to do some research on putting in a tether anchor later when he reaches 50 lbs.

If you think that the Civic will be gone in a couple years, then a Radian for your car would be a great choice. Actually, if the Radian works in the Civic, that might be better since you don't have a top tether and the Radian does really well without one.

aa2mama
11-19-2007, 10:02 PM
Thanks for your input! I'll have to take a good look at DS in the Marathon and the growth charts to get a better idea of how much longer he has in it. He's in the 2nd to top harness slot right now.

I'll have to take a look at the Regents. They're an option that I hadn't really considered. We're hoping to replace the Honda in 1-2 years, so I'm thinking I might just order a Radian and hope that we can get a good fit in at least one of the cars.

o_mom
11-20-2007, 12:02 AM
He should probably be OK in that for a couple years. My 4 yo is about at the same height in his MA and I think we will get at least 2 more years out of it. The Radian is even taller and usually lasts 6-12 months longer.

You should have no problem with the Radian in the Dodge since you have LATCH. Dodge allows the use of the lower anchors to 48 lbs, so that should be plenty of growth.

Child crying - gotta go!