PDA

View Full Version : Are these safe?

gatorsmom
11-22-2007, 02:25 AM
I recently bought carseat carrier covers very similar to this:

http://www.target.com/Infants%E2%80%99-Microfiber-Cozy-World-Carrier/dp/B000VPNW3G/qid=1195712442/ref=br_1_12/601-8066302-9224109?ie=UTF8&node=13760421&frombrowse=1&rh=&page=1

for the twins' infant carriers, but I just feel that with the hole flap closed for protection from freezing weather, the babies could suffocate. Anyone know if there are stories of suffocations from these covers?

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005
and SiSi and Greenbean 2007

JenaW
11-22-2007, 08:47 AM
WOW!! Happy Thanksgiving Lisa...I am amazed to see you up and posting. Although judging from the time, I am guessing one or both of your little bundles is awake??? Hope you are recovering from your section and getting SOME sleep!

Both of my cousins used these covers for all four (each - so 8 total) of their kids. Here in upstate NY winter can last 6 or more months, so that is a lot of use! All of them are alive and well. I think that are mainly kept closed only while you are outside (i.e. walking from car to house or car to store) and then once you get inside you can open the flap for better ventilation. The cover is NOT airtight. I think it may just help keep whatever warmth the baby produces inside and keep wind, rain, snow, etc out. I always used the Bundle Me carriers, which are not technically car-seat safe. Given the large number of posters here which denounce them and suggest covers like the ones you purchased, I am guessing they are pretty safe. I have never heard of a baby suffocating from being in one of these, although I GUESS it MAY be possible if you kept the cover zipped closed for a very prolonged time (hours!).

HTH.

Jera
Mom to Carter ~ 05.13.03
Madigan ~ 09.28.04
Natalie ~ 09.17.05 (born at 25 weeks!!)
Alexa ~ 11.03.06

o_mom
11-22-2007, 10:17 AM
I have never heard of that happening. We have two similar ones (though not that exact one) and I really don't know how they could suffocate. I use the flap when we are going to and from the car, but put it up out of the way in the car.

gatorsmom
11-22-2007, 11:53 AM
Happy Thanksgiving to you! You were correct- both bundles were awake. But my butt was firmly planted in bed and I was using my husband's laptop!

Thank you to you and o-mom for your responses. Minnesota is already starting to get cold and snowy and our winters can last into April! So, yeah, I know I'll get a lot of use out of them. They are just so furry that I worried about about all that fabric in their faces, kwim? I"ll just have to keep the cover off, for the most part.

Lisa
mom to Gator 03
mom to Cha Cha 05
mom to SiSi and Greenbean 07