PDA

View Full Version : Proper position of headrest with tall carseat?

american_mama
11-24-2007, 10:22 AM
We have a car with adjustable headrests in the third row. What is the proper position of the headrests for a tall carseat which otherwise are much taller than the short third row seatbacks? Specifically, do I put the headrests down as low as you can go, which pushes the carseat forward a bit? Or up high so the top of the carseat rests against the headrest but there is air between the seatback and the headrest?

This question may be complicated because one of my seats is the Cosco Apex, which has some special restrictions about making sure the top of the seat has support from the seatback (and/or headrest? Not sure). If anyone knows something specific about the Apex, I'd appreciate it, but my main question is about the general procedure for headrest position.

Gee, long way to ask a simple questions!

Joolsplus2
11-24-2007, 09:16 PM
Hi! (was up your way last weekend looking at leaves...pretty!)

Um... put it wherever it fits best? As long as the headrest is behind the kiddo's head, that'd be your only restriction in the Apex. (oh, I get it...yes, you can have 'air' between the seatback and headrest...those metal bars are solid enough to hold the headrest on and doing it's head protection job...same goes with adults, the top of the headrest should be up to the top of YOUR ears!...most don't fit most people properly, but it's something to at least try to do...)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/Leah.aspx

bensmom
11-25-2007, 11:22 PM
It depends on the car - you need to check your vehicle owner's manual. In my van, the top tether is supposed to go over the head restraint, with the head restraint in the lowest position. Otherwise, I agree with Julie and go with what fits.

For the Apex, you just need to make sure that the top of your child's ears are not higher than the top of your car's backseat (or the top of the head restraint, if you have that higher)

Ilana

CPS Tech and mom

Joolsplus2
11-26-2007, 10:09 AM
Oh yeah, forgot about that! Thanks for mentioning it.
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/Leah.aspx