PDA

View Full Version : Help with Booster seats

kerryb
11-26-2007, 02:16 PM
HI there,
I would love to get your opinions on booster seats. My oldest is turning 3 this week and weighs almost 30 lbs (not very tall.) The "baby" just turned one and 20lbs and she will be going in to her sister's Roundabout. I was going to buy a second Roundabout but then I thought that the booster might give us a little more room in the backseat. I have been happy with Britax, but I've seen some friends that are happy with the Graco turbo booster and didn't know if the price made a big difference. Obviously safety is the biggest priority.
Thanks for you help.

stillplayswithbarbies
11-26-2007, 02:26 PM
3 is too young to be safe in a booster. If you get a Radian, you may have more room in the backseat since it is narrower than the Roundabout, and will last for several more years in a 5-point harness.

Joolsplus2
11-26-2007, 05:28 PM
Yeah, a belt positioning booster is out of the question now (and for at least a couple years, no matter what the minimum weight and age are listed on the box...they are trying to sell seats, not promote 'best practice' of harnessing kids to at least age 5, which reduces head injury risk considerably).
The Graco Platinum Cargo is a terrific and narrow choice for a smallish 3 yo, the Radian is also fantastic (and offers about an extra year or more of harnessing). (and since your dd is small, you could even rearface her till 33 pounds...sounds crazy, but my dd loved rearfacing till she was 4.5, and that's definitely safest...at her age, I wouldn't really push it, but just so you know, it IS a viable option).

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/Leah.aspx

bubbaray
11-26-2007, 06:42 PM
The baby is still RFg, right? one and 20 is the minimum, not mandatory that you turn at that age. If you have one seat RFg and one FFg, you get more room than if you are trying to fit 2 seats snugly FFg. I'd get a Radian or a Graco Platinum Cargo for your oldest. They are both pretty narrow, though the top slots are significantly higher in the Radian and your oldest will be able to stay harnessed for longer with that seat.

Good luck!

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007