PDA

View Full Version : bike seats for small children

nanner
09-19-2000, 10:00 PM
I'll be purchasing a bike for myself and wanted to take my toddler along for rides. I'm confused about what a good bike seat would be for her. I've seen one by Topeak and another by Troxel (protege) in a bike shop and don't know anything about any brands. I don't want a trailer but rather have her up near me. Any suggestions?

rharvey
04-20-2001, 12:00 AM
Which seat did you eventually buy? I'm just about to buy one for my 1 year old but can't decide which is the safest. Your help would be appeciated. Thanks in advance.

hiller16591
04-20-2001, 09:57 AM
I worked in a bike store during college and would vote for the pull behind type. The reason is that with the extra weight on the back of the bike it is more prone to tip. I worked with a family that fell while riding on limestone packed railroad beds turned into bike trails. Depending on the age of your toddler they make pull behind bikes with a seat, pedals and a wheel. Otherwise a Burley or similar product. Families have told me that they sold their Burley's for nearly what they paid for them. Just another idea. Also, as an bicycle accident survivor please wear a helmet and teach your child to wear one. 95% of deaths in bike accidents could have been prevented with the use of a helmet. If I wouldn't have been wearing one I wouldn't be posting this note.

Normadsmnd2
06-05-2001, 11:58 AM
LAST EDITED ON Jun-05-01 AT 11:03AM (Mountain)[p]Please do not use a baby seat, use a trailer. There are many available trailers that can pe purchased through your local bike shop. We own a bike shop & will not sell or install baby seats on to bicycles. If you fall your baby is the one most likely to get hurt! Aluminum trailers are lighter & easier to pull. Trailers will not tip over if you fall. We have been using a Kool Stop Trailer for years. We converted it for our little dogs. Now that we are having a baby, we will be getting a new one. But not until the baby is around 18 months old and can take the jostling of the trails. Always use a helmet. Toddler helmets can also be fitted at your local bike shop.
Burley trailers are good but very pricey. You should be able to find a good trailer for around $200. Kool Stop & Cycle Design are 2 that we have had recent experience with. Here is the website for Kool Stop. http://www.koolstop.com

Hope this helps.