PDA

View Full Version : Stroller Decisions Help!

gpaik
09-22-2000, 10:33 AM
We are in the market for a stroller, but in a dilemma. My friends all recommend the travel 4-1 strollers, but from the babybargains book, and other comments on the website, peoples seem to think otherwise. I love the conveience of just plopping the carseat onto the stroller, but I want a stroller that will last couple babies. Now with that said, we plan on having another one within a year or so after the first one, soooo, how do I make an informed decision, knowing I have to dish out the money for another stroller? Do I get a double one after that? does the first one become obsolete since I cannot stroll two strollers at once? So will it be better to buy a travel one, anticipating it will only last for one baby? I'm soo confused. The other factor is, I have a camry that will probably make the bulky travel system harder to lug around. Please help.

alandenisefields
09-22-2000, 04:41 PM
Hi there. Remember that there is no one single stroller is the magic bullet, doing everything a parent needs for all age children. I would suggest a Snap & Go from Baby Trend (discussed in Chapter 7); then invest in "real" stroller after that. Most folks go for a lightweight model like the Graco LiteRider, Combi Savvy Z, etc.

When baby #2 arrives, carry the infant in a carrier like the Bjorn for as long as you can. Then consider a tandem, if your older one still wants to ride in a stroller.

Hope that helps,
Alan & Denise Fields, Authors
BABY BARGAINS
Email: [email protected]. Web: www.windsorpeak.com. Phone: 303-442-8792
Address: Windsor Peak Press, 436 Pine Street, Boulder, CO 80302

balessingo
10-05-2000, 04:38 AM
Hi, you are not alone in your travel system vs. regular stroller dilemma! After LOTS of research, we decided to go with a Peg Perego stroller, because the travel system strollers are basically junk. I don't know that they would last through 1 baby-judging from the info from friends who bought various brands-let alone more than one. We bought the Roma, and were happy with it, with the exception that it's heavy, hard to open and close, and not too easy to maneuver. I bought a Peg Perego Amico Sherpa and LOVE it- much easier to steer than the Roma, too. The Pliko strollers from Peg Perego might be an option- they run about $200, but also have a running board for an older child to ride on. Very high quality, though. Hope this helps!

sarsah
10-08-2000, 10:40 PM
I would suggest getting a Combi stroller with the 'perfect match system' that allows you to attach an infant car seat to the stroller. I have the Combi 6600 & a Century Smart Fit Plus 22 car seat which I have been using together for the past 4 months.

I really like the 6600 stroller. It's fairly light weight (14 lbs) and seems very durable. I looked at the travel systems before my son was born and was very disappointed by the quality of the strollers. I considered getting a Snap 'n Go before I saw 'perfect match' strollers.

Sarah...

bdee
11-05-2000, 01:31 PM
LAST EDITED ON Nov-05-00 AT 11:35AM (Mountain)[p]I agree with sara, i inherited a bulky evenflo 3 in 1 system which was fairly convenient only up till my baby was about 17 lbs after that it was easier to take him out of the car seat and seat him in a stroller. the stroller that came with it was much too bulky and heavy for regular use so i ended up either holding him while shopping or carrying him in a baby carrier.

if i had it to do over again i'd invest in a combi.. the strollers are extremely lightweight and you can buy an attachment that will allow you to place the baby carrier in it for the first few months. the prego strollers are a bit too pricey for me and having tested out both strollers i think that the combi's are much more lightweight and less bulky than prego.

i also agree with thte authors that you should hold off on the double strollers because these seem to be very bulky to me and seems easier to carry one baby and place the other in the stoller.

i was also confused about the lightweigt/bulky issue regarding strollers, i was thinking that the purpose of the stroller is that you don't have to lift the baby a lot but then i found out that if you're planning to walk your baby or take your baby any where there will be lifting, folding and maneuvering involved. just getting the stroller and the baby up the few steps to the door of the house is a huge hassle with the bulky stroller that we have. i end up having to lift the stroller with the baby in it about 40 lbs to the door. also folding and lifting the stroller in and out of the trunk when going on trips is a big consideration.

also if cost is somewhat of an issue with you i would suggest a combination carseat good for infant to toddler as our son outgrew his carrier at about 5 months.

good luck! i hope my experiences help!

Geebee
12-03-2000, 10:33 PM
Three points:
1. I DEFINITELY recommend a stroller that allows the car seat to be attached, whether it is the travel system, Snap and Go, or Combi. This is a great feature.
2. Regarding the Fields comment, I wouldn't count on carrying your second child in a Bjorn everytime you go out. It depends on the type of person that you are (and possilby the personality of your baby), but you may not want your baby attached to you all the time. I mean, I love to hug and cuddle my baby (until she squirms away) as much as the next mom, but babies can get heavy after a while, you might wake them up (or just worry that you will), etc.
3. Even after you have your second baby, you will probably still use a single stroller when you have just one of your children with you. I have a few friends that have 2 small children, and this is what they do. So that single stroller doesn't become obsolete.

I have used my travel system stroller for 9 months, and it seems fine (quality wise). Because of the bulkiness (I, too, have a Camry) and heaviness, I am looking for a good lightweight travel stroller. I will continue using my travel system stroller for walking (bumpy sidewalks). Another note: If you walk or jog, the Combi or Snap and Go may not work very well.

Enjoy!

ecarley
01-24-2001, 12:41 PM
I;m planning on going the Combi route too. The 6600 Perfect Match is available at many websites for $89-99. If you find a coupon at dealcatcher.com, you could really get a steal!

Check out combi's official site at www.combi-intl.com to find out more about the perfect match system and what online and store retailers carry Combi. Good luck!

Beth

elaine
01-24-2001, 03:30 PM
We have a Combi 6600 with the Perfect Match system and a Graco infant seat that has worked pretty well together. I like being able to use the stroller alone as a portable bassinet - our 4 month old sleeps in it at night and when I'm working, which means it's easy to move it from room to room so she can be wherever we are. She also likes to sit in the stroller and watch me cook in the kitchen. With the Snap-N-Go, you can only use it with the car seat, and often our baby does NOT want to be in the car seat, thank you! :^)

I can't imagine coping with a bulkier or heavier stroller than the 6600 - frankly, I find it annoyingly heavy and bulky as it is! Perhaps this is just one of the trials of having a house with front stairs.

ecarley
01-26-2001, 11:32 AM
Update.... the 6600 is on sale at babystyle.com for 59 bucks. Go to dealofday.com and they have a $30 off coupon if you purchase $100. What a deal!

I got $140 worth of stuff for a grand total of $87.

vbfc
05-15-2001, 03:12 PM
Hi. I am sure that by now you have picked a stroller (or two) - but I thought I would post my experience, since I was in a similar position. I got the Evenflo 4-in-1 and loved it. My husband and I each had a base in our car, so we knew the baby would always be secure in the "bucket". My first daughter stayed in the carrier for 6 months - so I thought it was worth the investment. Plus, if we went somewhere and she was asleep, we could still put her in the bucket (say to take into a restaurant) when she was 8 or nine months old.

The stroller worked well on its own and when Northwest Airlines broke one of the clips that makes it collapse, Evenflo replaced the stroller within 10 days - no questions asked (just the broken stroller sent back to them). Plus they gave us a choice of patterns.

My 2nd daughter was only in the bucket for 5 months, but the older one would ride in the space between the bucket and the seat. (kinda crouched under the hood if you can picture it. Close to the handle) Since they are only 20 months apart and she is small - this was fine for the five months. And in the mall, going slow - fairly safe.

My sister is now going to use the bucket (but not the stroller) with her new infant. 3 babies - Not bad for a $200 travel system.

Now we have a combi twin savvy and are pretty happy with that. We borrowed an Emma...lunjean twin stroller which was way too heavy and also too small for my older daughter to squeeze into.

hope this helps.

rosebud142
05-24-2001, 01:06 AM
Hello.
I would echo most everyone who has responded. Combi is the way to go. I too had the 4in1 stroller originally and although I used the baby car seat until my daughter was 9 months old, the stroller was just too heavy and bulky. I used the Snap and Go instead and recently purchased the Combi Ultra Savvy 2001. Now this is truly the ultimate stroller! You can use it like the Snap and Go when your baby is an infant and still in the carrier. When he/she gets bigger, it converts to a full size recline stroller. And...it weighs only 10 lbs. and folds very compactly. As my husband would say, it is the Porshe of strollers because it is beautiful (I have the leopard print design which I get tons of compliments on) yet it is comfortable for baby and functional for parents who are on the go. The 2001 models come with a matching carseat cover (works like a bedsheet for your baby carrier) and canopy. If you shop around for the 2000 models which doesn't come with these items, you will find some good deals. I just checked www.comfortliving.com and they are selling it for a blowout sale of $179 (reg. $265).

As far as when your second baby is born, I have not yet tried it myself but have been told that you can purchase a separate footrest and attach it to the rear end of the stroller for your older child to stand on. The only flaw I have seen with the Ultra Savvy is the small/hard to get into basket. We manage this dilemma by hanging the long strap of my baby bag over the handle bar so that the bag is about a foot from the ground. When the bag is this low, you don't risk tipping it over and I have found it to be easier access to my bag anyway. I do use the basket though for holding jackets and a mini cooler on hot days.