PDA

View Full Version : Travel Systems VS. Other Stroller Options

curlytop
11-29-2000, 11:11 PM
Like a lot of you out there, I am up in arms about what kind of stroller to purchase. I would really appreciate some advice from you seasoned vets out there...
*I live on a military base that does not have sidewalks and the road in almost as bumpy as gravel. I liked the travel systems because they seemed to have the most shock absorption and to be sturdier. But, I have read so many negative comments about their quality that I am very concerned about buying one and wasting money (plus they are VERY heavy). I have considered the higher end models (Perego and Combi) that have the option of attaching a car seat to a specially purchased bar, but will these provide enough shock absorption?? We will also be using the stroller for shopping, and since neither my husband, nor I (nor our car) are very big, stroller size and weight are a factor. I have also considered the Snap and Go, but I also worried about the bumpiness. Quality and value are of course also very important to me.*
Help! Meanwhile, I will just wait for the stroller fairy to pop in to tell me what to buy...what other choice do I have, I am utterly perplexed!
Any advice?????????

Chevalier
12-06-2000, 11:41 AM
If you are certain about what your needs will be for the next several years (ie, only one child to push, in on-road conditions) go with the quality brand stroller. However, if you may have another child within a few years and need a double stroller, or if you'll want a jogging stroller, save your money and use what suits your needs at the time. In deciding between a Snap and Go and a travel system, evaluate what obstacles daily life presents. Do you have stairs between house and car? Or miniscule trunk space? A Snap and Go might be best. I do not have stairs and have a station wagon. I chose a Graco Sterling travel system ($135 at Mercata.com). I like having a place to put a drink, and a handy spot for pacifiers. I like the one hand open and close. I can keep a small diaper bag in the basket and still fold and unfold. The quality of the stroller is not the best; the plastic tray gets scuffed pulling it out of the car, and the wheels have developed a squeek in less than 3 months. The carseat has many nice features, such as rocker base and up-front strap adjustment. Baby likes the seat, so I often stroll her around the house to get her to sleep at night. I don't plan on using stroller very much by itself, but for the price, it has been the best option for us.