PDA

View Full Version : Combi Savvy Z vs. Peg Perego Sherpa Bubble

gabrielle
02-06-2001, 11:06 AM
I am at my wits end trying to decide on a decent stroller. I've narrowed it down to the Savvy Z and the Peg Sherpa Bubble (both on sale at Comfortliving and Babystyle). My 3-month old boy is already 16lbs. so I am a little worried that the Combi would eventually be too confining. While the Peg seems exceptionally well built and sturdy enough to out last the Combi (I'd like a stroller to last through my next baby), its lack of storage and umbrella handles are reported to cause some folks headaches. I'm leaning toward the Peg because of the weather protective "bubble" and durability... I plan to do a lot of walking. Any advice out there?

Thanks so much,

Gabrielle

lmintzer
02-06-2001, 01:35 PM
I just went through a similar dilemma trying to decide between the Combi Ultra Savvy and the Peg Perego Plikmomatic (check messages in this forum with heading "light weight stroller decision" to see people's comments). I was also concerned that the Combi Savvy would be too small for a toddler and wouldn't be the best stroller for city walks. And at the same time, I didn't like the storage basket on the Pliko, and my husband didn't like the umbrella handles. So what we finally did was decide on the Combi 6600--it's only 14 lbs. and has a better handle and a bigger basket. It also has a full recline.

Of your two choices, I probably would go with the Peg Perego, given that you plan to do a lot of walking. Although the Savvy stroller series seems to be really high quality too, to me, they make better travel strollers than every day walking strollers. \

Rosamia
03-07-2001, 12:49 PM
How did you decide on the Combi 6600 series vs. the Combi Ultra Savvy? What was the deciding factor for you? Isn't the Ultra Savvy lighter than the 6600? I borrowed a friends pliko sherpa and found it to be too heavy when traveling and difficult to fold with one hand.

lmintzer
03-07-2001, 02:48 PM
It was a hard decision--all 3 strollers (both Combis and the Peg) seemed to have their pluses and minuses. Yes, the Ultra Savvy is significantly lighter than the 6600 (10 lbs. versus 14 lbs), which is something we considered. In the end, the decision between the Combi 6600 and the Combi Ultra Savvy was made based on: sturdiness (i.e., we thought it would handle better on city sidewalks due to being a little heavier), size of the "passanger compartment" (i.e., we were concerned that the Ultra Saavy might be a little confining when our baby gets to be a toddler), and price (hard to pass up a good stroller for $49.99 + shipping/handling). We also liked the bigger basket on the 6600, though this in itself was not a deciding factor.

Once we decided that we prefered the 6600 to the Ultra Saavy, it was more difficult making the final decision: the 6600 versus the Plikomatic. Honestly, if it had been just me making the decision, I probably would have gone for the Pliko. I really liked the fact that it folds smaller than the 6600. I also really thought the quality of the fabric and construction was nice. My husband wasn't too keen on the umbrella handles and the skimpy basket and didn't see much of a quality difference in construction between the two strollers, especially considering large price difference. Weight was nearly the same (14 lbs. versus 15.8 lbs), so that didn't play into the decision. In the end, we chose the Combi due to price and the handle.

If you think that the weight of either a Pliko or the 6600 would bother you, maybe the Combi Savvy Z is the right choice. It's certainly cheaper than the Ultra Savvy which is nice, but as you probably know, it doesn't have a full recline feature. This may or may not be an issue for you.

In response to your comment about folding with one hand, I'm not sure that any stroller can be folded with just one hand. Maybe more experienced stroller users would disagree. . .

Hope this helps. Feel free to post again with any other questions.

Lisa

Jeannine
03-08-2001, 05:31 PM
I understand what you are going through in search of that perfect stroller! I was considering the Sherpa Bubble as well until I came across Zooper Strollers (www.zooperstrollers.com). They have a strong track record in the European market, and are fairly new to the US. I was very impressed with the durability and quality of this stroller. The quality reminds me of my Peg Perego Milano XL, only smaller. This stroller is 19 pounds, and has a full recline as well. It also has a generous canopy, a rain shield, and rubber tires(air pump included)which is great for walking on concrete. It has a solid bar handle vs the umbrella style. It folds very similar to the Sherpa. I think the Sherpa may have plastic wheels. Overall, I am impressed with the Zooper Sport stroller. If you are a serious walker, check out the "Buddy" and the "Walk Air" models too. The authors of Baby Bargains will be rating this line in their next edition due out next month. I understand they have given some of the Zooper stroller models an excellent rating. I liked the Zooper much better than the Combi. Check out the website and find out what stores they are at in your area. I hope I did not confuse you more! Good luck!

mom@home
04-07-2001, 11:15 AM
I just purchased the perego pliko sherpa bubble from comfortliving.com and I love it! It's nicely padded and folds easily. I just took it for a walk over some shaky ground and on grass and it pushed easily. My 2 month-old seems to love it so far. Personally, I like it better than the combi because it seems more stable. Combis just seem so shaky to me. Good Luck!