PDA

View Full Version : Airline Travel with Baby

workshy
02-08-2001, 11:17 AM
My husband and I are travelling for the first time with our 9 month old baby. I was looking into buying a stroller that would be able to fit through the airplane aisles. Any suggestions?

lmintzer
02-08-2001, 01:27 PM
Hi. Although our baby hasn't "arrived" yet, I've heard great things about the Combi travel line. They make small, light (10 lbs.), good quality strollers that are very compact. That said, I don't know if anything will make it down an airplane aisle these days. But of all the stroller out there, these are your best bets. The Travel Savvy is the least expensive option. It has a 2 position partial recline. The Savvy Z is the next up with higher grade padding. At the top of the line (and you pay for it!) is the Ultra Savvy with a full recline option.

LisaA
02-08-2001, 07:34 PM
Hi!

I have a 3 1/2 year old and have been using the Combi Savvy Z for 3 years and love it for airline travel. It does fit down the aisle in most airplanes and it folds in quarters so it also fits in most overhead compartments. It also only weighs 7.7lbs. The only drawback is that there isn't much storage capacity, but that really hasn't been much of an issue. I am expecting my second child soon and have just ordered the double Savvy Z and have high expectations of that as well.

The other good airline travel tip, especially if you are traveling alone, is to get a carseat bag that has 2 straps on the back so you can use it as a backpack. It is not the most comfortable thing in the world, but you can push your child, put a light carry-on bag on the handle of the stroller (watch out for tipping! The Savvy Z is light.), and carry your carseat on your back all at the same time. You'll feel like a pack mule but you can make it through the airport alone.

My final airline travel tip is that children under 2 can travel for free on your lap or for half price (plus tax) in their own seat. Ask your airline for their policy when you purchase your tickets. I fly a lot and almost always bought a seat for my child when he was this age. It was easier for us.

Good luck on your trip and enjoy.

workshy
02-09-2001, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the great suggestions! Where can I get that car seat bag with double straps?

Mammaluna
02-09-2001, 08:14 PM
I too am considering purchasing a compact stroller for travelling. I was considering the Combi SubV($54.00) because the handles are higher than the Travel Savvy. I believe it is the most compact in the Combi line. They sell this model at babystyle.com and babycatalog.com. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find reviews on the Sub V so I am hesitant to purchase it. I also just purchased a car seat bag at selfcare.com for $8.00(a steal!). I believe they may still have some in stock.
I hope this helps.

tamiam
02-10-2001, 07:44 PM
But it's much easier to gate check it instead of taking it on the plane. You can use it all the way to the door of the plane, then leave it at the end of the jetway. When you get off the plane it will be waiting for you.

I would highly recommend buying a seat for the baby! Of course it's the safest route, but you get the added bonus of the baby being in a seat that s/he's used to sitting in and sleeping in! It's just more comfortable for everyone. Be aware that the seat in front of a rear-facing car seat will not be able to recline (in coach, at least); I would always put my husband in front of the baby's seat.

DON'T FORGET AN EXTRA SHIRT FOR YOURSELF!!! On my son's first trip, he had a diaper blowout when I was wearing him in his Baby Bjorn onto the plane... it went through everything right down to my skin. It was disgusting, and I didn't think to bring extra clothes for myself. I know MANY people who have gone through the same thing with poop and spit up - be prepared!

sarsah
02-12-2001, 01:50 AM
I travel by air at least once a month with my now 9 month old son. Most of the time, I fly alone with the baby. I have a Combi 6600 stroller, which I always gate check -- that seems to be the easiest for me. I just purchased an Evenflo Light & Easy stroller (got it at www.selfcare.com for less than $40). It appears to be about the same size as the Combi travel strollers, but I'm not sure of the exact measurements. I don't think I would use it on the airplane, though -- gate checking just seems easier to me.

I haven't bought a seat for my son yet. I fly short flights (under 2 hours), so it's not a big deal to hold my son on my lap. Also, I have no idea how I'd get myself, my son, diaper bag, laptop bag and his carseat (Britax Roundabout) onto the airplane by myself!!!

Sarah....

LisaA
02-13-2001, 11:37 PM
LAST EDITED ON Feb-13-01 AT 09:39PM (Mountain)[p]Babies R Us is the cheapest place I've seen to get carseat bag with 2 straps. I have also seen them in the Right Start catalog.

Leanne K.
03-19-2001, 12:45 AM
I have to add my experience here... I've only flown a couple of times with baby and the airline (Delta) never even gave me the option of bringing my stroller on board, no matter how small it was. They always insisted on gate checking it for me. So get the stroller you like, don't let "carry-on size" be too much of a factor!

djxxi
03-19-2001, 10:56 PM
Sarah,
There is a simple solution to your travel problem, it is called the Strollin Carseat. We have been traveling all over the world with ours. It is A Century car seat with wheels that actually strolls down airplane aisles. It is the best baby product we have ever used!
Sincerely,
Donald Thiele

djxxi
03-19-2001, 10:56 PM
Sarah,
There is a simple solution to your travel problem, it is called the Strollin Carseat. We have been traveling all over the world with ours. It is A Century car seat with wheels that actually strolls down airplane aisles. It is the best baby product we have ever used! check out www.strollin.com
Sincerely,
Donald Thiele

djxxi
03-19-2001, 10:58 PM
LAST EDITED ON Mar-19-01 AT 09:24PM (Mountain)[p]Hi,
Try www.strollin.com the Strollin Carseat is the safest and easiest way we know to travel with pour kids. It makes life so easy!
Sincerely,
Donald Thiele

hoodedyank1
06-04-2001, 07:42 PM
You mentioned in this old message using a carseat called Strollin from Century. I don't see any reference to this on their web site & the site you referenced www.strollin.com doesn't seem to exsist anymore, any suggestions on where to get this or look at it on the web? I travel frequently & will be taking many air trips alone, my son is only 6 weeks old so I need an easy system. Thanks for your help.

Jean

fellow_rover
06-05-2001, 05:30 PM
My husband and I have taken numerous trips including long international flights with our now 3 year old. The Combi Savvy has been a wonderful travel companion. It will fit up airline aisles if you can manage to talk the airline into it. Most airlines will make you gate check any stroller. Beware that on international flights that your stroller will most likely go to baggage claim. Don't stand around waiting like I did!

I want to shout to anyone who will listen PLEASE BUY A SEAT FOR YOUR CHILD! I realize this site is about thrift but there is some money that should not be saved. It is much safer and more comfortable for your infant to travel in their comfy familiar carseat than face the potential of being a projectile on a turbulent aircraft. Also, your kid is bothering people even if they are being nice about it. As a fellow travelling parent I can tell you that allowing your toddler to roam aisles disrupts the crew, slows service and isn't cute to the parents who are trying to get their kids to sleep.

If the above rant isn't enough to convince you to buy a seat then please remove the shoes of the child who is going to be kicking my seat. It softens the blow a very little bit. Or better yet, place the other parent in front.

Whew! I hope this was helpful to someone other than me!

littlemomma
06-08-2001, 10:36 PM
I just got off ebay and saw the strolling seat. I think it was filed under carseat/stroller carrier combo. Or if you punch in "stroller" under the search feature, you can scroll through & find it. I think I saw it within the first 5 pages. A smaller picture of it will appear on the left side. the last bid was around $30.

good luck

tamiam
06-09-2001, 01:42 AM
Sounds like the same thing: a combination car seat/stroller. It's a convertible (rear or front facing) car seat that turns into a stroller when you pop out the wheels and handle. It's available at rightstart.com and onestepahead.com

It's also FAA certified.