PDA

View Full Version : Combi Ultra Savvy vs. Graco Sterling LiteRider?

nancyj65
02-19-2001, 05:01 PM
I think I've narrowed my stroller preferences down to the Combi Ultra Savvy with a Graco SnugRide DX5 infant car seat or the Graco Sterling LiteRider, which comes with the same infant seat. Does anyone have any opinions? I'm tempted by the light weight of the Combi, the fully reclining seat, and the fact that as a stroller it holds up to 45 pounds instead of 40. For the Graco, I'm tempted by the larger storage basket underneath and the roomier, more comfortable look to it. The drawback I see to the Combi is that is just seems like baby would be cramped...although the Graco would be much heavier to tote around and get in and out of the trunk. I'm driving myself crazy trying to decide. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

alicia
04-07-2001, 04:10 PM
I too am also torn between the heavier more plush stroller or the lightweight more portable ultra savvy. i'm not due until may so i am still deciding. if you got the ultra savvy i would love to hear how you like it so far. thanks, alicia

gina
04-11-2001, 03:01 AM
I have a Graco SnugRide DX5 and it is incredibly heavy! I stopped using it when my baby girl was 3 months old simply because I couldn't lift it in and out of the car - my back was killing me even trying to carry it into the house from out garage!!! Also, I wasn't able to use it after 3 1/2 months due to height restraints - my daughter was over the 26 inch mark. My girlfriend has a Century infant carrier car seat and I'm using hers now instead. The Century is MUCH lighter to carry, snaps in place in grocery carts and has a three point restraint. Did I mention that the Graco straps were really difficult to try and work around the baby? They are very short. Also, the velcro over the belt adjuster kept attaching to my daughter's socks, sleepers, etc., and the backs of her little legs had scratches from the velcro. Forget Graco and go with the Combi and a 22 lb., 29 inch car seat that's light!

Geebee
04-11-2001, 09:59 AM
LAST EDITED ON Apr-11-01 AT 09:09AM (Mountain)[p]Another option that you might consider is the car seat with a Peg Perego Pliko Matic or Trek stroller (about the same price, but the Trek has all-terrain wheels). You can purchase a car seat adapter bar separately for about $20, so you can snap the car seat onto the stroller. The Plikos seem more sturdy than the Combis. They are a little heavier than the Combis (at about 15 lbs), but large enough that the baby wouldn't be cramped. The Plikos are relatively lightweight, fold compactly, and recline fully. They are easy to get in and out of the trunk (compared to my travel system stroller!). Check it out.

If you get a Pliko, make sure that it is the 2001 model that come with a basket (previous models did not come with a basket).

Enjoy!

Geebee
04-12-2001, 01:58 PM
Oops! I confused the Pliko Trek and Pliko Sherpa. I have the Pliko Sherpa which is about the same price as the Pliko Matic. The two are similiar, but the Pliko Sherpa has all-terrain wheels. The Pliko Trek is similiar to the Pliko Sherpa, costs about $50 more than the Pliko Sherpa and Pliko Matic, and includes a rain canopy.

GinaP
04-14-2001, 02:31 PM
I have an Ultra Savvy (the 2000) model, and it's lasted me for over one year. My only complaints are: handle length (which they fixed for the 2001 model--it's three inches longer) and the storage basket (I live in a big city and do a lot of neighborhood shopping). However, on the plus side, it's very high quality in terms of wear and tear, it's very light (which is really nice when your baby gets heavier) and very easy to maneuver in and out of cars, supermarket aisles and small spaces like subways. The full recline is also nice for when your baby is small annd will take naps in the stroller. It also comes with a car seat bar, and a neat storage pack for keys and water bottles, which I bought separately for my 2000 model. As far as your concern about it being too small for your baby, the Ultra Savvy is a lot roomier than the Savvy Z and the Travel Savvy, and my 15 month old daughter still has plenty of room to move around. The basket is also much bigger on the Ultra than the other two. I like my Combi, and would certainly buy another one.

I'm sorry I can't give you comments on the Graco, but I decided against them because they were too heavy (even the "Lite" models), and had a bad track record for city streets. I've used my Combi ever day for the last year (we walk at least 1-2 miles per day), and it's gone to Europe with us successfully. As you can see, I'm a bit biased towards the Combi, but you did ask for opinons!

If you end up with the Combi, be sure to check out estyle's current deal--I think it's 50 dollars off the purchase of 150$ or more, and they throw in a free diaper bag if you buy the Ultra Savvy. Not a bad deal.

Another thing you might want to think about (sorry if this confuses you) is the Peg Perego plikomatic/sherpa. I believe their new models have carseat adapters and come with baskets. They also have travel systems that include a car seat. Check out babycatalog.com--I think I've seen the new models there.

Good luck, feel free to post with more questions in case I wasn't clear.

Gina P

alicia
04-15-2001, 06:33 AM
Gina, thank you for that great info on the combi ultra savvy. I am probably going to buy my stroller this week and have been contemplating for the past 7 months (baby is due in 2-3 wks!)between ultra savvy and a peg. I love the idea of having a really light stroller but it being top quality, folds easily, has an attachable bar for car seat, does not have umbrella arms and fully reclines. Thank you for your input, it really helped me. I do have a few questions though, I am able to get a 2000 model for 200$. I know the arm length could be an issue but i'm only 5 ft tall so i don't think it would affect me. Would there be any other reason to go w/ the 2001 model? Also, how is the canopy as far as shade goes? thank you again for your help! alicia

lauraroth
04-16-2001, 01:02 PM
Alicia--

At the risk of confounding your decision, let me throw in a few ideas. First, don't get a graco. I got one of their literiders and although the basket is great, it does drive easily and is plush for the baby, it's poorly made abd is very difficult to get in and out of the car. That said, I'd HIGHLY recommend a Snap'N'Go for using with your infant seat. While the idea of having one stroller may sound appealing, I've found that my needs have changed as my son has gotten older. (He's now 7 months.) The sng is very lightweight and has a decent basket. (I would recommend getting a centuy car seat since they can accomodate larger infants--even if you and your husband are small, your baby may grow quickly!) Once your baby can sit up, you don't need a convenience stroller. I have a travel savvy and it is very convenient to take anywhere and is a dream to pop in and out of my trunk. You might also consider the Peg Aria--it's their brand new competitor to the travel savvy.

good luck, if you have questions, feel free to post them.

Laura