PDA

View Full Version : Graco - As bad as it gets?

raynjen
02-22-2001, 07:50 PM
Despite months of research, price comparisons, and shopping (on my part) showing that the best combination for us would be the Combi 6610 with an infant seat my husband has dug in his heels and is insisting on a Graco travel system. He "likes the look of it". Are we doomed to have a terrible stroller experience, and will we be out shopping for a new one three months after the baby is born? I tried to point out the enormous size and weight, but he hefted it a few times and said no problem. Help!
Jen

Stacy
02-23-2001, 01:48 PM
Hi, Jen. My husband was the same way. So we registered for a Graco travel system. Then I was reading the messages on this board and saw that estyle was offering $20.00 off with a coupon, MSTEWART20 - I think - I went ahead and ordered the Combi 6610. And removed the Graco from my registry. We are also buying a sports stroller so I didn't want to spend all of that money on our "mall" stroller. I know I'm not answering your question, but wanted to offer you some support. Order what you want. You'll be the one that uses it the most. Good luck.

shandrin
02-23-2001, 07:16 PM
i don't think so, i have heard positive feedback on their systems and their strollers in general, although they are no peg perego or maclaren quality level, they are not all that bad for the cost. combi's just like all the rest have people who love 'em and also hate them. many people do own more than 1 stroller due to the fact it's hard for one model to 'do it all'
it's best to pick out what suits your needs the most for what you plan on using it for and it may not always be 1 stroller that can do that and may mean you own several different makes.
i personally own strollers by peg, maclaren, kolcraft, graco, they have their good/bad points but fill the job i need them too.
btw:did you know peg is coming out with travel systems?

aksealy
02-24-2001, 09:14 PM
I'm with you! I foolishly registered for a Graco travel system just because I liked the plaid pattern (matched my car upholstery). The car seat was fine, but the stroller was an absolute nightmare. The wheels squeaked so loud that they would wake the baby up and the steering wasn't all too great either. I called Graco and they told me to put WD-40 on the axles. I literally coated the wheels with WD-40 and they still squeak! I've noticed other moms at the mall with squeaky Gracos and we commiserate about how we should have gotten better strollers. And, when fully loaded with the car seat, it's heavy.

As a second stroller, we purchased a Combi ultra savvy and love it to pieces. No squeaky wheels, very easy to maneuver. It also came in a stylish leopard print. I haven't personally tried the perfect match system but if the savvy is any indication, I would go with the Combi instead of the Graco. Just my two cents.

Geebee
02-26-2001, 11:33 AM
I don't know about the Gracos, but I have a thought - who is going to be lugging the stroller in and out of the trunk most of the time? If you are going to stay at home with your baby, it will be you. In this case, you probably want to get the stroller that you will be most comfortable with. If you aren't staying at home and believe that you and your husband will be together when taking the baby out (weekend shopping, etc.), it might not matter so much.

I like my travel system stroller (I have a Century) with all of the bells and whistles (big basket, cup holders, telescoping handle), but if I have to lug that thing in and out of the trunk one more time...ugh!

raynjen
02-28-2001, 03:41 PM
I'm going to be staying at home and I will be doing 90% of the lugging, which is why I'm so concerned. I have showed these comments to my husband who just shrugs and says that "some people seem to like it - its all over the mall." He is just infatuated with having the stroller, pack-n-play, highchair, and swing match (and I thought I was particular about style). Hopefully we will end up with one of the ones that doesn't deteriorate as quickly. Thanks for all your comments and help.
Jen

BridgetinChicago
03-10-2001, 03:01 PM
I happen to love my Graco travel system. My baby Emily was born in Nov. so there has plenty of rain, snow and cold weather to battle. It's been so nice to just move the car seat to the stroller and get moving. I've even taken walks in the snow and ice and the stroller gets through just about everything. I walk with friends at a mall once a week and the stroller manuevers beautifully - no squeaks. I've used just the stroller sans carseat around the block now that Emily is getting bigger and it's great.

Two complaints:

1- Sometimes the carseat gets stuck in the stroller - the latch mechanism doesn't unlatch.
2- Emily only weighs 12 pounds and the car seat straps are too short when she's wearing her winter fleece(we've tried everything to adjust). Apparently you can pick up extenders at Babies R Us, but the seat is supposedly good to 20 pounds. Poor planning on Graco's part...

Hope this helps.

raynjen
03-21-2001, 03:25 PM
Bridget-
Thanks so much for your input. I am hesitant to disregard my husband on this one because he has been so accomodating about everything else. It is nice to know that some Graco strollers turn out okay.
Jen

Geebee
03-23-2001, 12:22 PM
BridgetInChicago,

Just a thought on your problem with the car seat straps.

I just wanted to mention something a police officer told me when I took my car and babyseat for an inspection. He said that the straps on car seats are made to give 2 inches. With a thick coat on a baby, the straps can give too much and the baby can slip out in the event of a crash. He said that it was better to keep the baby warm with blankets on top (with the baby strapped in).

Of course, I don't have the problems that you have, because it doesn't get as cold here in Dallas as it does in Chicago...

G

KYLE'S MOM
04-02-2001, 08:27 AM
I HAVE A GRACO TRAVEL SYSTEM. I LIKE IT; HOWEVER, THERE ARE A FEW THINGS I DID NOT CONSIDER OR KNOW ABOUT AS A NEW MOM. FIRST & FOREMOST - IF YOU ARE GOING TO GO WITH THE GRACO, I RECOMMEND THE CARRIAGE STROLLER TRAVEL SYSTEM. ALSO RECOMMEND THE NEW ONE HAND RELEASE SYSTEM WHICH IS ON ALL OF THE NEW MODELS. ALSO MAKE SURE YOU GET ONE WITH BIG WHEELS. THIS MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE IN MANUEVERABILITY. ANOTHER THING TO CONSIDER IS THE CARRIAGE TRAVEL SYSTEM. I WISH I HAD GOTTEN THAT ONE BECAUSE NOW THAT MY SON IS 4 MONTHS OLD, I WANT TO PUT HIM IN THE STROLLER WITHOUT THE CARSEAT BUT I STILL WANT TO BE ABLE TO HAVE HIM FACE ME. YOU CAN DO THIS WITH THE CARRIAGE STROLLER BUT NOT THE OTHERS. ALSO, CONSIDER THE SEAT ADJUSTMENTS. A 3-4 SEAT RECLINING SYSTEM IS MUCH NICER THAN THE 2 SEAT SYSTEM. I DO LIKE MY GRACO, I JUST WISH I HAD KNOWN ABOUT THESE OTHER OPTIONS AND UPGRADED TO THE CARRIAGE TRAVEL SYSTEM. GOOD LUCK!!!

KYLE'S MOM
04-02-2001, 08:28 AM
LAST EDITED ON Apr-02-01 AT 07:29AM (Mountain)[p]IF YOU LOOK AT YOUR OWNERS MANUAL AND CALL GRACO, THEY WILL SEND YOU STRAP EXTENDERS AT NO CHARGE.

Tata
04-03-2001, 12:36 PM
I used the Evenflo On My Way Travel System when my daughter was born. I had no problems, except for the weight. I later purchased the Combi Ultra Savvy as an "umbrella" stroller. It was lightweight and manuevered great around the mall. I could not take the Combi for walks outdoors or to the beach. It wouldn't budge, so I used my Evenflo for such outings. As my daughter grew, the Combi got harder to push and her feet got caught in the wheels. For the money, I would not recommend the Combi. Yes, it is light, but there are too many negatives.