PDA

View Full Version : Maclaren strollers... need advice.

katesmom
03-01-2001, 11:01 AM
Hi -- I have an 18 month old daughter. I'm looking for a lightweight stroller that can be many things are once:
** Great for strolls around the neighborhood (i.e. somewhat rugged)
** Good for errand running and trips to the mall
** Lightweight and easy to fold
** Made well
** Able to accomodate a fairly large toddler comfortably
** Suitable for an infant when we have baby #2

I know that's asking a lot, but would love to hear recommendations from anyone! I'm seriously considering the Maclaren Vogue stroller. I've logged onto epinions.com and people just rave about it there. It seems to me that Maclaren fits many of my "requirements" but I'm a bit put off at the price. We currently have a larger Aprica stroller, but I find that hard to steer. Our other stroller is a Kolcraft reclining umbrella stroller, which was really great until it recently got damaged. Plus, I just used that for errands and mall trips -- it's not great for strolling around the neighborhood. With spring right around the corner (we think!), I need to get something better.

I've also seen a Babytrend stroller on babycenter.com which seems to be a hybrid between a regular stroller and a jogging stroller. I believe it's called the Navigator. Anyone have that? Jogging strollers are great, but aren't so good for traveling/shopping, etc. A have a friend who says that the Peg Perego Pliko is too heavy, and she loves her Maclaren. Most people seem very happy with the Maclaren.

Help!! Thanks very much!

Kate's Mom

Stroller Reviewer
03-08-2001, 12:01 AM
We originally purchased the Peg Perego Plikomatic and found this to be an excellent stroller for our newborn. As our daughter grew older, we noted that the stroller became difficult to maneuver in narrow store aisles. We like the umbrella folding style that can be easily placed in our car trunk. The stroller hood can fold downwards and provide good protection for our child. Another shortcoming is the plastic handles. They bend under pressure and make steering the stroller difficult. Our slung basket has become ripped and is falling apart.

We recently bought the Maclaren Techno and are very pleased with the design. It is easier to steer and requires less effort to push than the Peg Perego Plikomatic. However, the basket is very small and not useful for many items. It is very easy to fold and open.

In summary, I would rate the Peg Perego as is a very good and the Maclaren, excellent. I hope that this is helpful.

shandrin
03-12-2001, 05:57 PM
have you seen the techno? also by maclaren, it has a more sport design than the vogue, 6 inch wheels, same amount of recline as the vogue but has sponge handles that are turned in, it's not really heavy and has the same quick fold as any other maclaren, the seat cover removes to wash and has an excellent size hood that has a piece that zips off to make it a canopy style. as to fit my 5yo fits in it just fine and i can still push it with one hand if needed.
HTH!

Geebee
03-23-2001, 03:26 PM
I had a bad experience with Maclaren strollers. Actually, with three of them, all Maclaren Mistrals. I sent a message to the Fields', and it is now in their "mailbag" for January 2001. Here's the meat of the email.
----
The features of the Maclaren Mistral are great: light weight, folding compactly (in an umbrella stroller fashion), hood, basket, reclining seat, extending leg rests. I would absolutely love it if only the stroller actually worked.

The first stroller that I received had some funny wheels. The wheels did not turn in a straight line which caused the stroller to vibrate. I took the stroller out three times (to places like the mall), and this problem continued. So, I called babystyle.com. They sent me another stroller before I even sent the first one back.

Straight out of the box, the straps on the second stroller were broken.

Again, I called babystyle.com, and they were very accommodating. They were out of the pattern that I preferred, so I had to call again to ask them to send a stroller with a different pattern. No problem.

I thought that the third time would be a charm. The third stroller, again after three outings, had the same bad wheels as the first. So I am packing up this one and sending it back.

-------

I've seen the same comments about the wheels in another Baby Bargains "mailbag" letter (try searching on Maclaren). I also saw a bunch of Maclarens while on vacation at Walt Disney World, and I noticed the same funny wheel problem on many of them.

I must say that Maclarens have great features. Many of the features are the same as on the Peg Perego Pliko Sherpa, but Maclaren does some of them better. But I now own the Sherpa, and it has been GREAT. At 15 lbs, it is a little heavier than the Maclarens, but I guess since my travel stroller was about 25 lbs, I don't mind only 15 lbs.