PDA

View Full Version : Kelty Infant Carriers

Sadie S
03-15-2001, 10:32 AM
Does anyone have any information or experience with the Kelty infant carriers? They are styled similar to the Baby Bjorn, where the baby (25 lbs and under) can be carried facing out or in. They seem to come in two models, the Koala and the Kangaroo (according to the Kelty website) but the only place I have seen them for sale was in the Lands End catalog and I think the model was the Koala. It was about $50. It looks nice and padded for the adult, and heavyduty too. The price is certainly more tempting than the Baby Bjorn (I would have to spend extra to order the XL straps for that model) but I would like to find out more before I buy.

Thanks!
Sadie S

jkcohen
06-08-2001, 12:14 AM
We bought the Kelty Kangaroo Infant carrier (which is priced about the same as the Baby Bjorn) with the thought that it is more padded for the parent and would distribute the baby's weight to the hips and therefore be a "better" carrier. However, when you wear 8-25 lbs. in front of you, there is no way the the weight will actually be distibuted to your hips (like it would with a rear carrier).

I also initially chose the Kelty for it's pouch to hold small items like diapers, keys, wallet, etc. However, once the baby is old enough to face forward, you can no longer attach the pouch.

Another factor that we didn't think of is how small the carrier will fold up when you are not using it - the Kelty is very bulky making it difficult to pack and take places. In the end we borrowed a friend's Bjorn and found it easier to use and even more comfortable.

If you want to check out the Kelty for yourself, you can probably find it at any outdoor store (i.e. www.rei.com).

NolansMom
06-22-2001, 10:04 PM
I tried on the Kelty at a local sporting goods/outdoor store & hated it. I couldn't get the darn thing on & got really frustrated. (could have been those pregnancy hormones!). We went with the Bjorn & love it. It is easy to use, you can lay the baby down without waking him & it packs in the suitcase well (we travel a lot).

It was well worth the money. I still use it every now & then and my son is 14 months (my husband doesn't use it anymore because our son likes to wiggle his legs around when he is in it & well, it isn't at a good level for my husband anymore!)

hope this helps,

Robyn