PDA

View Full Version : Going to NYC and need advice

kk
04-08-2001, 10:15 AM
on what stroller, car seat to bring/buy. We are visiting DH while he is in New York for two weeks. I have no idea what how to address the car seat issue. Baby is 5 months. What do you large city moms do when/if you take a cab somewhere? Are there car services that are baby friendly? Here is what I have: peg perego milano, kolcraft reclining umbrella stroller, century car seat. Here is what i am considering: combi savvy z, plikomatic, snap 'n' go. Thanks.

JenD
04-16-2001, 10:28 PM
We're going to NYC for 5 days, and I don't know what to do about a car seat, either! We bought an inexpensive lightweight travel stroller for the airport and the streets (we'll actually be inside a school much of the time), but I really don't want to lug our carseat around the city all day. Have you gotten any advice from anyone else?

If we were going to live in NYC, I'd use a heavier stroller - I wouldn't want anyone to get in my way!!! LOL! For our short visit, though, it seemed smarter to take a stroller that won't be a burden in the airport.

JenD
04-25-2001, 11:11 PM
We don't have a Maclaren, or any of the strollers you listed, so I don't know how they would compare to one another. But we saw more Maclarens than any other brands including Peg Perego. Apparently, the Maclarens are sturdy enough for city walking, but small enough to fit through crowded stores. They also fold up well for riding in cabs and subway trains.

We took our Britax car seat with us, and while it was a little cumbersome in the airport, we were glad we had it. The cab driver had no problem with us taking a moment to install it in the car.

I hope it's not too late for this to help!!

swmc
05-08-2001, 09:33 AM
I live in NYC and and since you say that you'll be taking cabs, I think what you should do is get a Snap N' Go for about $60 and bring your car seat. If you have or can borrow a Baby Bjorn soft front carrier... bring that too.
If you have to buy a snap n'go (as opposed to borrowing).. get the latest model since they steer better. Using a snap n'go and a car seat is the fastest way to get in and out of cabs. In most cases the driver will help you. When your Baby gets tried of the stroller... just pop him/her into the Baby Bjorn. My baby (5 months old also and 16 1/2 lbs.) LOVES it. If you have concerns about how you will feel carring around you baby this way.... just try it out at the store. (Two hints... your back will feel better if the straps criss cross in the middle of your back... instead of the top. Second, even though the company doesn't recommend it, the extra large size does fit a medium size person (ie most women) as well as large size people (ie most men). The company recommends either buying 2 if both a large and medium sized person plan to use the carrier or to order $40 extension straps.)
Technically, car seats are not required in cabs. Mothers here sometimes do put their babies in a Baby Bjorn and strap both of themselves in, but obviously, car seats are the safest way to go.

Lastly, if you are by yourself, taking the subway with a baby will be more difficult as not all stations have elevators and climbing stairs with a baby and snap n' go will be almost impossible. What you can do is just put the baby in the Baby Bjorn and ask someone to help you w/ the stroller. (don't worry .. someone will help you.)

If you think that you will be taking subways more than cabs.. then bring your lightest stroller.. probably the kolcraft.
Good luck!

mckitt
05-10-2001, 12:43 PM
Although I don't live in NYC any more, I was there this weekend with friends who have an 8-month old baby. First of all, in the playground, Maclaren definitely seemed to be the stroller of choice--lightweight enough to tote around with you but sturdy enough to handle uneven sidewalks. I doubt that you would need to buy another stroller, but if you really want to, please note the Combi Savvy Z does not accommodate infant carseat/carriers, although the more expensive Ultra Savvy does, as do a couple of the Combi 6??? models (I forget which ones). If you are considering a Pliko stroller, I'd opt for the Sherpa instead of the Plikomatic for the knobby tires (I recently posted a detailed list description of the features of various Pliko models on the message board). You can buy an adapter bar for the Plikos that will accommodate the carseat/carrier.

Depending on how big Baby is at 5 months you may want to consider a baby backpack (Kelty is a good brand--recommended by one of my outdoors magazines as very safe, comfortable and sturdy) instead of a front carrier. Our friends toted their daughter in a backpack all day and she was fine (as was Daddy's back, except when he was carrying his daughter on his back and his 4-year old in his arms in the front). Kelty has also recently come out with a baby backpack that has wheels on the bottom so it can also be used as a stroller. AND it only weighs 7 pounds. I'm not sure how available it is in regular stores, but here's a link to it on the REI web site:
http://www.rei.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=8000&prrfnbr=9824647

Looked pretty cool to me...

kk
05-11-2001, 04:59 PM
SInce i posted this question, I figured I would tell everyone what i wound up doing. I took the Smartfit carseat, which fit conveniently, though not officially, in the Plikomatic. Worked great. I definitely would have blended in better with a Maclaren, but Maclarens lack the napper bar that helped to hold in the car seat. thanks for all of your advice.

peg
05-13-2001, 08:42 PM
I agree with SWMC's advice 100%! I've lived in NJ (for 15 years)very close to NYC and when I go in with the baby, I take the infant seat and Snap N Go. Definitely THE way to go (and MUCH less expensive than buying a Maclaren when you already own so many strollers!). The mothers I know in NYC don't even own car seats. They just hold their kids in their laps and, I guess, pray. I much prefer to have a car seat! The snap N go folds up extremely quickly and is very easy to get in and out of cabs, even if you put it in the back seat with you. subways are a pain with a sroller, but EXCEPT during rush hour, people always offer to help. The baby bjorn carrier is a tremendous help too! You could always strap on the baby and use the car seat in the snap n go to hold purchases, etc. (just keep an eye on your belongings - there are many petty thieves around looking for opportunity.) Enjoy your trip! NYC is excellent this time of year!!