PDA

View Full Version : Urgent safety question

DaniRae
04-16-2001, 08:54 AM
I keep reading that a large percentage of car seats are not installed properly and I have a strong feeling that mine is one of them. Is there somewhere I can bring my car to have it checked out? My car dealership does not offer this service. HELP!!!

Deana
04-16-2001, 09:11 AM
Check the Daimler/Chrysler website (www.fitforakid.org). They have dealerships around the country that will check your seat for free (regardless of the car brand). You can also get more info at www.carseatdata.org.

Geebee
04-16-2001, 10:41 AM
Try your local police station. My local station has two officers that take car seat safety classes regularly, and these are the only officers that will conduct the inspection.

I hope that helps!

aunt83me02
04-19-2001, 09:50 PM
check out the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration http://www.nhtsa.gov They have place on there where you can type in your zip code and can get information about places in your area.

sdownie
04-22-2001, 09:57 AM
In our area, the fire dept. provides a seat installation check free of charge. You might want to try that out...

peg
04-24-2001, 04:24 PM
I always had trouble getting the seat in tight enough and found that the Mighty Tite rachet tightener works extremely well! I use it on my Century Smartfit Plus an my Britax roundabout. (I also use a locking clip with the roundabout, since my car's seatbelts slide right through the Roundabout's built-in clips!) As long as your seat doesnt' move more than an inch and the incline is right for a rear facing infant (45 degrees is what I've been told). I used to get hot and sweaty and often hurt trying to get the seat in tight enough, but now it is so easy with the Mighty Tite. It's available lots of places. I got mine at Right Start and it's about $20.