PDA

View Full Version : surprising advice about the Combi Ultra Savvy

sdownie
04-22-2001, 10:13 AM
HI, folks. We were considering purchasing an US because it's light and can be used with an infant car seat. The manager of our local retailer advised against it, saying that because of the stroller's light frame, the US really isn't the most stable thing once you've added a car seat and a baby. I'm curious to hear from anyone who is using the US right now as part of a travel system.
Thanks.

alicia
04-22-2001, 11:15 PM
I just ordered the combi u.s. on-line (estyle 50$off). my baby should be here in the next two weeks.... I'm planning on using it as a travel system so if you can wait a little before making your decision I'll let you know how it works. I struggled up till now to make a decision on a stroller so hopefully it will work out. I'll let you know! alicia

dave
04-22-2001, 11:45 PM
I also went in to buy a US to use as a travel system, and was encouraged to look at the Peg Perego Pliko, which also can be used as a travel system. It felt much more sturdy than the US, and the handles extended, which keep me from kicking the back when I walk behind it. So far it's been great - as a stroller and a travel system. Think about it.

By the way, we did also buy a Combi Savvy Z for traveling.

nicole
04-23-2001, 01:15 AM
I bought the US and have been using it for almost three months now. I have to say that I absolutely LOVE it! In regards to the weight issue, I use it as a travel system with a car seat (Evenflo On My Way Position Right V) and also have a big baby. Our daughter was 9lbs at birth and now weighs close to 13lbs. I have never felt that it was unstable or unsafe.

I didn't want to buy two strollers so I needed one that fully reclined. I was deciding between the Peg Perego and the US. I am a petite person so I actually brought both home to test lifting in and out of the car. I ended up keeping the US and am very happy with it.

MomtoMM&C
04-24-2001, 01:08 AM
My baby is almost 6 months old and weighs 17 pounds. I have been using the US with the Century Avanta SE infant seat since she was a newborn and I LOVE it! I have never had a problem with stability and I have two other children who are constantly tugging on the stroller. I would strongly recommend the stroller. Good Luck!

mrkittykat
08-07-2005, 10:52 AM
I have a combi...the $350 dollar Perfect Match kind w/ acoustic canopy and car seat adapter. Got it because it was light & versatile w/ a quick fold.

I don't think it's very sturdy...ESP popping curbs or on any hill.

The airline broke my first combi broke while ON MY WAY to a VACATION. The handle was totally busted up and rendered the stroller useless. Since it wasn't an inexpensive stroller, I lugged the thing home.

CUSTOMER SVC was great and got me the newest version of the stroller (with improved handlebar).

Though improved, this is not a great stroller for popping curbs and taking on uneven sidewalks.

I had a very difficult time in NYC with this stroller...my son would often get jostled forward everytime we hit a bump because the wheels couldn't handle the bumps. IMO it's a bit dangerous and the quick fold is not worth it.

iriebride
08-07-2005, 11:34 AM
I have the Combi Ultra Savvy 2003. Both my sister and SIL recommended it. We used it as a travel system. When DS was an infant, we never had a problem with our Graco SnugRide in the stroller. The easy, compact fold and light weight was well worth it! We travel alot by car and by plane. So far it has survived all in the last 2 yrs. DS loved his stroller!

Most people complain about the small basket, but it wasn't important to me. I do agree with the last poster about the wheels on bumpy sidewalks. It really wasn't a problem for me, since we had a different stroller for long walks. This stroller was mainly for cruising around when shopping, etc.

Now that DS is 2 y.o., we switched to a Mac Volo for travel and love it! The wheels are much better for pavement. We're going to keep the Combi for Baby #2, but will also get a twin/double stroller. Not sure which kind yet. Although, my friends are recommending the Combi Twin Savvy. Since we've had a great experience with Combi, we may just buy this one!

HTH,
Joyce
EDD 12-28-05
Zerick 7-3-03

ellies mom
08-07-2005, 12:02 PM
We were all set to buy one of the Combi Perfect Match systems (don't remember) which one and like a few of the PP, the salesman advised against it. In our case, I guess he had been given one, and he hated it once the child got bigger. He said it flexed so much that it was hard to steer. He didn't comment on the car seat part but he might have gotten it after that stage.

melbb
08-07-2005, 01:09 PM
I have no advice on the Combi based on my own experience, but I was considering it or the Zooper Waltz. I posted for advice about these two strollers in comparison. Someone replied and said that they checked both out and put 35 lbs in each stroller and found that the Combi was much more difficult to steer and seemed more flimsy compared to the Waltz. I did look at the Combi myself, but did not put all of the weight in it. I thought it was okay, but DH kept kicking the wheels on it. I got the Zooper.

javierandastrid
08-08-2005, 07:59 AM
i have used the combi for 2 years and loved it. we used a snugride with it when DS was an infant and never had a problem. i recommend it esp. if you're looking for a lightweight stroller.