PDA

View Full Version : Bertini Strollers????

Minnie Mouse
05-11-2001, 10:13 AM
I was all sold on getting a Peg Perego Milano with an attachment bar. I love the size and durability of the stroller...knowing it's a bit heavier than an umbrella...but will be up to the rigors of everyday use.

My Aunt in all of her generosity wants to buy us our "carriage". I mistakenly assumed she meant stroller, I was wrong. She went out and bought us a Bertini Steerable Stroller. She is convinced that a baby just isn't comfortable unless it has carriage wheels under it. I have found a few opinions on epinions about it...and have looked over their site, but there isn't much info out there.

My major concern is weight and real life useablity. We live in the 'burbs and will have to transport the stroller in the trunk a lot...so I am not thinking this is a good idea for us.

Does anyone know what the weight of the Bertini is?? Have any experience with it?? I have been able to find only one store in the entire Philadelphia area that actually has one in stock for us to look at...and we are going there tomorrow.

I'd appreciate any help & advice.

thanks,
Christine

Geebee
05-12-2001, 09:57 AM
LAST EDITED ON May-12-01 AT 09:05AM (Mountain)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-12-01 AT 09:01 AM (Mountain)

I just looked at the Bertini online (www.bertinistrollers.com). I did a search thinking maybe a web site that sold it also listed the weight (I don't know why they don't!). I couldn't find the weight, but if you are suburban mom, RETURN IT. It was a very generous gift and a beautiful carriage stroller, but even if that stroller is 15 lbs, it looks extremely bulky. Believe me, you want to consider bulk as well as weight when lugging that thing in and out of the trunk (maybe a little easier if you have an SUV or minivan).

Just think twice about it. When you see one in the store, fold and unfold, lift and set down.

I had a huge, bulky travel system stroller that I used for a year. Although it was easy to push, it was heavy, difficult to fold (folded in half), and took up half the trunk space (of a Camry). I now have a Peg Perego Pliko Sherpa, and I LOVE it. Relatively lightweight, folds compactly (umbrella style), fully reclining for infants, and you can purchase a carseat adapter bar.

Just another note - from the Bertini website, it looks like Simo might be the same brand or something. (www.simostrollers.com) And you might be able to find some opinions on eopinions.com.

I hope that helps!

mma800
05-13-2001, 09:16 AM
I have a Bertini! It really is a gorgeous stroller. We bought the floor model at a Baby Faire when I was expecting #1. It was brand new to the market- and I'd done some research on the web- and decided it was for me. By purchasing it at the end of the fair- we got a fantastic price.

Now- in hindsight- I must admit to having a love /hate relationship with it. I love the way it looks, and it really is the most comfortable ride for my daughter. She loves it. However- we live in the city- and it's just way too big to get in and out of the shops. I do alot of driving and I've only taken it with me once- as it weighs about 75lbs and is just too big to lug in and out- and I have an SUV!! It would NEVER fit in a car trunk unless you removed the wheels and the trunk was big. It's great for long walks- has a huge- useful basket for purchases/diaper bag etc. It's easy to steer and push- and rides great over sidewalks, grass, gravel, snow, ice- you name it. I really used it alot during the winter.
In reality- I used my Snap n Go while the baby was still in her infant car seat- and now I take my Combi Ultra Savvy for car trips, or if I know I'm headed to a place where the Bertini won't fit.

Now- I'm in the market for a double stroller- as baby #2 will arrive in September. I saw the Biposto at a store- and it was just as long and heavy as the Bertini- and it was a Double! i think I'll probably pick the pram style again- and get a cheap umbrella stroller for the car trips. Most of the doubles are just too squashy for my taste- no leg room!

Good Luck!

Belacane
05-28-2001, 03:35 PM
Can't imagine what Biposto you saw, if you claim it was 75 pounds (?) The 2001 Bipostos which I saw in a store in Manassas are 38 pounds (with the seats - each seat is 8 pounds), this is if you buy it with swivel wheels. This is definitely the one we are going for when Isabelle is born in October! You might want to find a place that has the 2001 models and check it out. The 2000 models were 53 pounds with seats.

JanaM
06-05-2001, 04:43 PM
I think she was referring to the weight of the Bertini when she said 75lbs. I've decided to get a Bertini when our new baby is born in December because I like the idea of adding a toddler seat for DS (will be 20mo) in the beginning and then being able to take it off and have a single stroller later. I've also known people with sturdy pram style strollers who, when the kids are older, just drop the back of the seat and load them into the one seat as the chassis can accommodate heavier loads. My one concern about it was the weight. I found a website that listed the weight of the classic chrome chassis model as 40lbs. Yikes! Now you can buy the sport model with the aluminum chassis and those lovely 12" pneumatic tires in the US. It is five pounds lighter weighing in at 35lbs.

HTH,
Jana :)

Minnie Mouse
06-06-2001, 12:55 PM
We did finally go see a Bertini in the one local store that carried them. It is an absolutely gorgeous stroller...maneuvers like a dream and beautiful to push. However...we collapsed it and put it side by side with the Milano and there was no contest. The Bertini was over twice the height of the the Milano when both were collapsed and waaaay heavier. There is no possible way I would be able to heft that in and out of the trunk of our Jetta. The salesperson was quite helpful and told us that the Bertini weighed in at about 35lbs....13lbs heavier than the Milano!!

If we lived in the city, the Bertini would be perfect, but as dh and I are suburbanites, I think that after I went back to work it would get very little use and we would need a lighter stroller for the car. As I finally explained to my Aunt, the Milano is a nice compromise between an umbrella stroller and the pram style carriage/strollers.

I honestly can't imagine hauling this stroller around with two kids...the additional seat is just going to make it a lot heavier.

Christine

mma800
06-08-2001, 06:13 AM
FYI- on the day I picked up my Bertini, I was driving a Jetta! I've since changed cars. I COULD NOT get it into the trunk unless I removed the wheels. I ended up squeezing it into the backseat (somehow- at 7 mos pg!)

Yesterday, I took the Bertini to it's new home at my parents place. I folded it and put it in the back of my Honda CRV- where it fit perfectly- but was heavy to get in/out. Again- lifting that thing at 7 mos pg!!
Great stroller- but it wasn't right for our lifestyle. Just too big for roadtrips and city shopping.