PDA

View Full Version : Double Strollers??????

Tondi G
06-05-2001, 03:19 PM
Our friends have a 7 month old and found out recently that they are expecting another baby at the end of the year! We purchased a Milano XL for our baby due in July and she is really interrested in the doubles that Peg Perego offer...anyone have a tender twin or any other model that you like/dislike?? Also would love to hear any info/opinion on ANY other double stroller that you might have... durability is most important but they are on a budget so if it is an expensive brand we'll have to get a few people together to buy it for them as a gift! Is it worth the money to buy a peg double or would any of the lower priced models do? Thanks

shandrin
06-07-2001, 01:34 PM
Since their children as so close buying a better quality stroller would be the best choice, i own both a tender & a duette(older pram wheels ie:large) If they have the room i'd suggest the new style duette which offer swivel wheels since both seats fully recline and their eldest is still so young, the tender although more compact, the front seat only partly reclines and i have found kids up till at about 18mths-2yrs may still sleep in their stroller and the tender's front seat doesn't go back far.

But since a stroller is such a personnel choice prehaps a gift cert may be better so they can choose what suits their need/wants. :)

mma800
06-08-2001, 06:06 AM
Hi!

I have a 10 month old, and our new baby is due in Sept- so they'll be close in age too. I've been researching double strollers for some time now. It's such a big decision, as there are so many options out there!
I've decided to get a tandem style stroller over the side-by-side. We live in the city, and the tandems will be easier to get in and out of our apartment and stores. Plus, I've heard from friends that even the most expensive side-by-sides can be difficult to steer if the kids are different weights. My friend with 18 mo. twins loves her Maclaren Opus Duo- but she has probs getting around the mall stores due to it's width.
I've looked at almost all the available tandems in the local baby stores- and found the less expensive models seem cramped to me. One kid just doesn't get enough leg room or sun protection. I loved the Inglesina Biposto- but it's very heavy and expensive. My folks are buying the stroller for us- so $$ isn't really a problem. I have a big pram style Bertini for my 10 mo old, but find I use the Combi more often, as it's easier to get in/out of car and around the city.
I've pretty much decided to get the new Peg Perego Duette 2001 model. It has a much bigger basket than the Tender Twin or the old duette. The stroller is long, but fairly light, and is easy to fold up. The steering seems great, as the new duette has swivel wheels. You can change the seat positions as you like- and very easily, too! I've been told that you can snap a carseat onto the frame (after removing a seat)- but have had conflicting reports as to whether you can use only the Peg Perego car seat or other models. They also make an adapter bar, but I don't know if it fits the new duette or not. None of the stores I've been too have had both the new duette and the new Peg carseat for me to practice on- so I'll keep checking. I have a Century carseat- but may end up getting a new Peg seat if that's the only option for snapping it in.
I've also found a few great sites on line that sell the Peg Duette for MUCH less than the retail stores I've been too. It was about $499 at one shop- but I've seen it on-line for over $100 less.
Check out lots4tots.com and strollers4less.com

Both have excellent reputations as far as I've seen.
Good luck!

vbfc
06-25-2001, 02:18 AM
I got a combi savvy twin stroller in March for my 10 month old (20 lbs) and 2.5 year (30 lbs) old. We took it to Florida and it was great. The girls are both comfy, the strap makes it easy to carry, the sand cleaned right off - I was thrilled.

Downsides are - lousy wheels, hard to get into underneath baskets (but they are huge) if the seat is fully reclined, need to really push down (on one side) to make turns, not a wonderful seatbelt system (not a 5 point harness)(the baby can escape) and ours does not seem to have worn well.

Our handlebar broke and we have mailed it back to Combi (at our expense). They said it will take two weeks to fix and return - but no charge. They ended up replacing it with a brand new stroller - which we thought was great.

Also, the bar in front opens so an older child can get in and out on their own, but the rubber gaskets on ours tore within weeks. I am not sure how this stroller will hold up when my girls get heavier - but it does have its pluses for now. Love the compact size and weight. Plus, got it on sale at e-style - so it was a great bargain. We have the blue plaid. It is very nice. Good Luck.

windflower
06-30-2001, 10:48 AM
Read the review I just posted of the Inglesina Biposta. I highly recommend it.

kbuckard
07-05-2001, 03:12 PM
my sister has 5 children. her first 3 are each 2 years apart in age and then she had twins. she used the peg perego double stroller (front and back) until she had the twins. it was a GREAT stroller. it held up great and it took a lot of abuse. she highly recommends it.

for the twins, she got the graco side by side as she didn't want any fussing from them as to who was in the front and who was in back. it fell apart within a year. she was very unhappy with it.

my sister in law's boys are 18 months apart. she, too, chose the peg perego over the graco as she felt the peg perego provided more room, the graco was too cramped (in the back, i think).

twinmom
07-13-2001, 04:23 PM
We have a Maclaren Opus Duo side-by-side stroller, and we love it! It's relatively lightweight (though not as lightweight as the Combi Twin Savvy) and it fits through doorways. It also folds nicely to fit in our minivan or a trunk. The seats recline so that you can use it for a very young infant (we used it to take our preemie twins home from the hospital). Additionally, it has five-point harnesses, which is a plus when trying to keep two toddlers in their seats!

We bought ours from babystyle.com when they were having a special (I think it was $100 off $300, or something like that).

eschwartz
07-17-2001, 05:21 PM
I love my Graco duoglider. My friends have the Peg Parego's and the Macleren's, and I went with the cheaper option of the Graco because all my research showed that it was as good or better and 1/3 of the price. You can get it for $140 on sale. It has large wheels, folds easily, and accepts a Graco infant seat. I have had it for 8 months with my 7 month old and 2 year old daughters, and have no complaints.

aunt83me02
07-17-2001, 11:54 PM
I have used this stroller and say ditto to the above comments. It is a good stroller with easy maneuverability.