PDA

View Full Version : Baby Bjorn at 9 months

crAbbymom
06-06-2001, 12:12 AM
My daughter just turned 9 months and weighs around 18 lbs. I'm wondering if it would be worth it to get the baby bjorn carrier at this late date. The Right Start has last years model on sale but their site says it's for up to 10 months. Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions? I have the infantino 6 in 1 and absolutely HATE it...it kills my back and is a pain to get on and off.

Geebee
06-06-2001, 09:18 AM
LAST EDITED ON Jun-06-01 AT 08:22AM (Mountain)[p]If you like to use a carrier (even occasionally), it might be worth it. I have a 15 month old who is 24 lbs and not walking (it is beating me down), so, recently, I have picked up my BB again to run into stores (instead of carrying her). I hadn't used it in months. It works fine, but my back hurts a little after using it (but carrying 24 lbs isn't easy no matter how you try to carry it). I thought that it was up to 33 lbs (I don't remember reading an age max, just a lb max), so that's why I went back to the BB.

Another option for a 9 month old might be one of those backpack carriers. I started looking into those, but then I thought that if I could use something that I already have, why spend the money.

I hope that helps!

alandenisefields
06-06-2001, 09:58 AM
I would skip the Bjorn and move on to a back pack carrier, as it would have more long term use. We review Kelty and Madden carriers in Chapter 7---they are the best.

Alan & Denise Fields, Authors
BABY BARGAINS

crAbbymom
06-06-2001, 06:01 PM
thanx for the input...i'll be shopping for a backpack now!

LPav
06-10-2001, 12:54 AM
I have the Baby Bjorn and absolutely love it. I had a Sungli first and hated it(hurt my back and was difficult to get into by myself). I have used the BB constantly until now. My daughter is also 9 months old and weighs in at 18lbs 6oz. I can still use the BB if I need to, but my back will be a little sore afterward. I find it much easier now to use a stroller or carry her. My husband is 6' and he agrees that she is too heavy for the Bjorn carrier now...even for him. It just isn't comfortable. If you have another child though, you might want to check into it sooner. Mine was a lifesaver for the first eight months!

LPav
06-10-2001, 12:54 AM
I have the Baby Bjorn and absolutely love it. I had a Sungli first and hated it(hurt my back and was difficult to get into by myself). I have used the BB constantly until now. My daughter is also 9 months old and weighs in at 18lbs 6oz. I can still use the BB if I need to, but my back will be a little sore afterward. I find it much easier now to use a stroller or carry her. My husband is 6' and he agrees that she is too heavy for the Bjorn carrier now...even for him. It just isn't comfortable. If you have another child though, you might want to check into it sooner. Mine was a lifesaver for the first eight months!

suribear
06-14-2001, 12:54 PM
I would skip the BB and go for either a backpack carrier or the Baby Trekker (www.babytrekker.com). It's also a frontpack (which I find much easier to deal with than a backpack) but it is SO comfortable!!! I use it for my dd, who is about 19 lbs. I have a BB, too, but I stopped using that around 16 lbs.

Kris

cabote
06-14-2001, 02:59 PM
Look into the baby trekker as mentioned above. I am about to buy one for back reasons. I bought the Bjorn and my back already hurts carrying around my 1 month old! I do have back problems though. The trekker looks a little more complicated than the Bjorn and not as stylish-but you can use it in 5 positions. The Bjorn only has two. I especially like that you can put the baby on your back. Good luck.