PDA

View Full Version : Strollers and Infant Seats, How to decide?

1sttimemom
06-11-2001, 05:36 PM
I've become obsessed with the search for a stroller and infant car seat. We considered the Graco Literider travel system. Now I'm not sure. I drive a Cavalier and I'm petite. Hauling a stroller in and out of a trunk and space considerations are important. I want a carrier that "snaps in" to the stroller, but don't need a "set". I'm considering the Graco Metro-Lite but read that baby's grow out of Graco's seat-and the stroller only fits their seat. (Will I have a large baby or want to carry the seat and child over 20lbs- maybe not.)I like Peg Perego's travel system but don't want to spend $400. Based on reading comments here and in Baby Bargains, I'd buy a Combi Conv. Perfect Match stroller with a Fisher-Price SIV. But they don't fit. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced pair that works together considering safety and quality and a petite Mom who doesn't body build? I'll be using it in the burbs, at the mall, sometimes in the city and on public trans, and occasionally on grass or gravel. Do I need a travel system and a small stroller- I'd rather spend more for quality on one than buy two. Is black a problem with hot sunny weather?

rosebud142
06-11-2001, 09:59 PM
Hi,

I am also a petite mom (barely 5 ft. tall!) and up until recently was driving a Honda accord so size and weight was a big consideration (second of course to baby's safety). The way you describe yourself pretty much describes my lifestyle. And given that, I would recommend the Combi Ultra Savvy which has the Perfect Match system which will accomodate most infant carseats. It fits your baby's needs from newborn to 45 lbs. and will meet your size and weight (10 lbs.) concerns. I have the leopard print and I have not noticed black being a problem...if anything, it disguises messes. It is compact and fits in the trunk perfectly...great for travel too. Babystyle.com is having a closeout sale and comfortliving.com is also selling the US for $199 (I believe it does not come with the matching canopy and cover though - if that matters to you). I am constantly glad I got this instead of any other brand (although the Peregos are good too) because you don't realize at first how much size and weight become a burden until you have to haul around the baby, diaper bag, your purse, shopping bags, etc.....Whatever you decide, DO NOT buy the travel systems made by Graco and Evenflo. They are a total waste of money. I got the Trendsetter travel system as a gift and it was such a pain to use because of the size. The only thing good that came out of it is that I used the carrier until my baby hit the 20 lb. mark. Now, it is sitting in the closet at my parents house and I am considering selling it cheap just to get rid of it. Well, good luck. Email me if you have any more questions because I think I can relate to your concerns.

Deana
06-12-2001, 07:16 AM
We went for the Combi Ultra Savvy and found it online for $250. And, we've got the Graco SnugRide, which was recently rated the best infant carseat by Consumer Reports. So, together they were $330, but I think the quality of both is great and the Combi US is very versatile. The other Combi models also work with Graco, Century, etc.

The Combi is also nice for petite women with small cars because they are compact and light. I think any carrier in general may get too heavy for me, so I'm planning to rely more on the combo of a Baby Bjorn and stroller and leave the carrier to my husband.

rosebud142
06-12-2001, 11:47 AM
Deana-

Yes, I also used my Baby Bjorn alot until my daughter was still small enough to fit into it and my husband carried the carrier when he was with me. Even when I was by myself with the baby, the combination was very easy. The invention of the snap n go/perfect match system with use of the carrier has got to be one of the best baby inventions! Good luck to both of you!