PDA

View Full Version : Maclaren or Perego? Help Please!!

zeebergee
06-27-2001, 02:11 PM
Just when I thought I had it all wrapped up what stroller to get, I go and have 2nd thoughts...

I'm trying to decide between:
* Maclaren Techno
* Maclaren Vogue 2001
* Peg Perego Pliko Sherpa

Which would you recommend and why?

I'm looking for a stroller to be
*lightweight (already have an older Perego Milano)
* good on uneven terrain (grass, gravel)
* good for errands, shopping (basket?)

I'm looking to buy soon, so your help is really needed!
Thanks in Advance,
Mae

Megieblue
07-23-2001, 10:47 PM
LAST EDITED ON Jul-23-01 AT 09:48PM (Mountain)[p]So funny, but I purchased all three and returned all three.

I found that both the Techno and Vogue's wheels were (although tough and approiate for all-terrain) unsteady and rather clunky on normal sidealks and when I was in stores. I talked to the people at Maclaren and they said that the original wheels (Mistal, Daytripper) were made to work on any surface and they they created the all-terrain wheels as a marketing gimmick. When I heard that, I rushed out and bought the Mistal and am SOOO happy I did. It rides smoothly on every surface and is a wonderful and comfortable stroller.

I also had the Pliko and, though, it would have been wonderful when my son was younger, now that he's older, I found it cumbersome. It's heavy to take in and out of my car, and it's very hard to push with one hand. Aside from that, it's a wonderful stroller. And in addition to the basket, you can toss bags over the handles. A note: Once your child is 20lbs or so, the Maclaren can take a lot of weight on the handles too.

Considering all the options and your needs, I'd say either the Pliko or the Maclaren Mistal (have you looked at it?)

MaxMom
07-26-2001, 01:53 PM
We have the Maclauren Opus. It is wonderful. It goes totally flat for newborns and its an umbrella stoller. It is very easy to open and close, unlike the Plikomatic. It is also good from my husband to push, because the handles are long.

Geebee
07-26-2001, 03:19 PM
LAST EDITED ON Jul-26-01 AT 02:28PM (Mountain)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-26-01 AT 02:25 PM (Mountain)

I bought and returned 3 Maclaren Mistrals. Now, I hate Maclaren strollers. Maybe my experience is not common, but the wheels did this funny quivering thing. I took each out about 3 times (to harmless places like the mall and furniture store), and the vibrating became worse and worse. The whole stroller vibrated. I thought that I just had a lemon, but after the same thing happened with 3 of them...ugh! If this was a cheap $30 umbrella stroller, fine. But for $190, this stroller should have worked perfectly.

Other than that, it was a lovely stroller. I was disappointed that it didn't work. I ordered the Mistrals online, so sending them back was a HUGE pain. (Baby in one arm, huge box in the other, trying to open the door to the UPS dropoff place...ugh.)

I ended up with a Pliko Sherpa, and it's great. I've had it for 5 months, and everything works well. A little clunkier than the Maclarens, but it actually works. I like the brake system better than the Maclarens. The Pliko basket seems a little larger than the Maclaren's, but Maclaren's basket is supported, which is helpful. (And, of course, I went to the local BRU and paid full price for the Pliko, because there was no WAY that I was going to buy another stroller online. But, this is all just one person's bad experience. I buy many other, smaller things online.)

It is relatively lightweight at 15 lbs, has done well on uneven sidewalks, and holds my purchases at the mall (clothes, etc.). It is sturdy enough that you can hang light, bulky stuff on the handles (I've never been concerned about tipping).

I just think that Peg Perego makes a better stroller, and the Pegs seem to hold up better than the Maclarens. Just my experience.