PDA

View Full Version : Snap n Go vs. Combi 6510 or Ultra Savvy

SFSteph
06-27-2001, 04:36 PM
I've been going in circles trying to decide on a stroller. My husband and I both love the Maclaren Techno and will get it when our baby is a little older (probably 6 months) as it doesn't fully recline. In the meantime, we have been considering using a Snap n Go with our Century infant carseat.

The only problem with this plan is that it doesn't give us any option for the next 6 months of using anything but the infant seat to take the baby out. Is it healthy to always have the baby in an infant carrier? I would think that being able to lie down comfortably for longer outings would be better for the baby. Also, since I do plan on going for walks, I'm not sure the Snap n Go is the best solution. Therefore, we have been considering the Combi 6510 (found it for $75) or the Ultra Savvy found it for $180) instead of the Snap n Go. I figured these might be better options as the baby can lie down in the stroller and doesn't have to always be in the carrier.

Although the US is more expensive, it might be better since it's lighter and easier. We'll likely still get the Techno later, but does anyone have any opinions on these options - especially my concern given the baby's health considerations when constantly in an infant carrier. Thanks!

Geebee
06-28-2001, 09:20 AM
Some things to think about...

I am not a medical expert, but I wouldn't worry about your baby spending a lot of time in the infant carrier. Babies spend 9 months with their knees around their ears, and they don't seem to stretch out much for the first few months. At least mine didn't. As long as they are supported, they seem happy, whether it is laying flat or in a carrier. The only time that I put her in her stroller (not in the infant carrier) was when we went for walks or longer outings (for instance, we went to a Renaissance Festival and were out most of the day).

My understanding (I haven't seen the US, but I've test driven the lower end Savvys) is that the Savvys do not perform well on the rougher terrain. The other Combis (6510 or whatever) seem to have larger wheels and probably perform better.

And I also think that it might be difficult to get by with just a Snap N Go for 6 months. You will probably want the versitility of a stroller, too.

HEY! I just looked at the Maclaren website, and it says that the Techno is suitable from birth. Maybe that will solve your problem - you can get the Techno and Snap N Go now. Look at http://www.maclarenstrollers.com/New%20Pages/Techno.html. It seems like strollers that are that expensive (the Techno isn't the low end Maclaren) should be fully reclining so you can use them from birth!

I hope that helps!

SFSteph
06-28-2001, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the reply. However, the Maclaren says its a full recline, but it's more like 145 degrees. Another consideration is getting the Snap n Go for quick trips and something more like a full service stroller like the Venezia for day long outings. I just don't know if I'll be up to the challenge of carrying around a 20 lb. stroller though. Anyone else have any thoughts?

nywifey
06-29-2001, 10:16 AM
That's my plan: The Venezia and the Kolcraft Universal Carseat Stroller then later on The Pliko (I agree with you about waiting until they are at least 6 months old to use these kinds of strollers). I don't like the idea of always having to put the baby in the infant seat either. That's why I've chosen the Venezia. It's like a bed on wheels. I like the Carseat Stroller for quick trips (postoffice, drugstore, etc...). Take a look at it on BABYDEPOT.com I think it's a better deal than the Snap n Go. At least your'll give yourself an option when you go out for a stroll.

Geebee
06-29-2001, 02:28 PM
I agree that 20 lbs can be heavy, but also consider the bulk. If the Venezia can be folded and easily carried (I have no idea how it folds), it might be okay for you. Check it out at your local baby store. Fold and unfold and fold and lift and lower and carry the stroller down the aisle, and see if it is awkward or heavy for you. It might be just fine.

I wish that I had done this with the Century Travel System stroller that I asked for. I think that it was more like 25 lbs, and even folded, it was still huge. After using it for 12 months (my daughter is now 16 months old), I was fed up with the weight and bulkiness and purchased a Pliko. I was determined to get by with just one stroller, but my frustration won in the end.

I hope that helps.