PDA

View Full Version : Any new strollers coming out later this year that's worth waiting for?

eekwan
06-18-2002, 11:26 AM
Hi!

I'm a first time expecting (August 18) father who is emphatic about researching for the right gear for our precious little one. I'm thrilled to have discovered this great research tool you guys have created.

We've decided to go with an infant car seat and universal car seat carrier as a stroller for the first 6-8 months and then transfer to a full size stroller later. We have some baby showers coming up and some of our friends have indicated that they would like to get us the stroller that we end up picking.

Should I choose from what's available now? Or does someone know of some strollers coming out later this year that may be worth waiting for? I was going to wait until we actually needed the stroller (8-10 months from now) so that I can choose from the latest models. But I don't want to pass on the opportunity of getting the stroller as a gift, as we all know these things can be pricey!

Sorry for the long message!

Thanks!

Ernie :)

m2tandk
06-18-2002, 12:27 PM
Just wanted to say thats great your friends want to get you the stroller! You'll need it sooner than you think. Most babies outgrow the infant car seat by 4-5 months. My son outgrew his by 3 months and my daughter by 5 months. Thats pretty much the norm. Unless your baby is small(like 5 or 6 pounds) at birth. You might get some extra time out of it.

I don't know much about whats coming out though. My particular favorite strollers are Peg Perego Venezia and Atlantico. I also like Inglesina too. Aprica is nice, but way overpriced! Good luck to you!!

Kelly

Momof3Labs
06-18-2002, 12:32 PM
I called Peg Perego with a question a month or so ago, and their 2003 line isn't coming out until next March or April (give or take). So, it doesn't sound like there will be any new Pegs to pick from in your time frame.

I also like the Venezia and Atlantico, and the Aria seems like a nice lighter weight stroller.

Lori
due 10/12 w/ #1

egoldber
06-18-2002, 02:08 PM
I wouldn't necessarily COUNT on being able to use the infant car seat for 6-8 months. I used the Graco Snugride until 6 months and had friends who used it until 7-8 months (these were all 7-8 pound babies at birth). But I also have a friend whose baby outgrew it at 3 months (this was a 9 pound baby at birth). So you just never know.

Personally, I would still wait until after baby is born to get a stroller. There are plenty of other big ticket items that your friends can purchase if they would like to get a "big" gift. But if you are in love with a particular stroller, then by all means go ahead and get it. You will find uses for it, even it turns out to not be your "perfect" stroller. (Although there really is no such thing...)

HTH,

Melanie
06-18-2002, 04:15 PM
You're on the right track with the carrier for the beginning. My son outgrew his around 5 1/2 - 6 months. However, I would just wait and buy your stroller later. I picked out one I thought was great, but I was pregnant and couldn't lift/fold/carry it as a test. I ended up buying a second one a few months after the baby was born. You definitely want to wait until your wife is in "condition" to test out everything.

Mommy to Jonah

hardysmom
06-18-2002, 04:36 PM
You are so smart for holding off on the stroller. As a first time mom, I have found there is a HUGE difference between what I thought I was going to need/want and reality. The Universal Stroller is a fabulous way to start! I purchased a very expensive Peg Perego Milano while pregnant. It has been great for neighborhood walks and extended outings, but isn't very practical for the everyday haul. My DS (8lbs, 12oz) outgrew our Stay-In-View at 3 months, but by then I had a better grasp of what our new life would look like. As much as I love my Milano, I probably would have gotten something else. Heck, for what I paid, I could have gotten 2 something elses!

One thing, in stroller-land newer isn't always better. Often, the only thing that changes is the fabric or such. And many people like older models better than the improved versions (the English-made 2000 Maclaren Vogue v. the heavier 2001 Vogue which was made in China comes to mind) You can get great deals on top-of-the line strollers if you are willing to buy last-year's model.

eekwan
06-19-2002, 01:10 AM
Thanks everyone for your much appreciated feedback! I think we will hold off on getting the stroller as originally planned.

jenneric_2000
06-19-2002, 08:15 AM
You've gotten some great ideas here...thought I'd add my own. I, too, think it is wayyyy smart to use a "snap and go" type thing in the beginning. As far as my take on strollers, I bought a Milano when I was pg and from day one regretted this decision. Sure it is beautiful but it is totally impractical in my opinion. My hubby and I are tall and kept tripping over the wheels and forget trying to negotiate narrow aisles in stores etc! I bought a new Maclaren Vogue (the british version) on ebay and *LOVE* it! My four month old is comfy in it (she too outgrew her infant seat early btw) and it is a delight to use! I cannot recommend this stroller enough! And as another poster stated if you are interested the newer models are not the British made versions so you may not want to wait on that! Good luck!

eekwan
06-19-2002, 11:18 AM
Thanks Jenn! Is there a dictionary of somesort for all these shorthand words I see everyone using? I figured out pg and obviously btw, but I've noticed DD and DH used alot by other folks...

Thanks again!!

egoldber
06-19-2002, 02:17 PM
Here's a link to an earlier coverstion about this.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dcforum/DCForumID30/41.html

btw, HTH :)