PDA

View Full Version : where to purchase a mountain buggy? and a few other questions...

spu
06-18-2002, 02:52 PM
So we're leaning toward the Mountain Buggy Urban Double for our twins-2-be as an all-purpose on and off-road stroller (maybe we'll suppliment later on with a super-lightweight, but they're all being redesigned right now, so the MB would be it for now.... ) We'd be using it for everything from shopping, restaurants, hiking, beach-walking... and we'd be using it starting at the newborn stage.

I've read all the postings and reviews out there and have a few (ok, a bunch) more questions for anyone who has used the urban double (or terrain). Thanks in advance for your patience! With such an expensive purchase and buying it sight-unseen, I need all the reassurance I can get.

-- Where did you purchase it? Are there any online sites? MB doesn't have any stores in our area so we'll need to purchase it online.

-- How much did you pay? I've seen it for $499 + 30 shipping. Are there any other sites or discounts available?

-- MB said it is suitable for newborns. Is this true? Did you have to modify or pad the seats for newborns?

-- How is the turning radius on the Urban double?

-- Does it do well in malls, restaurants, food stores, etc?

-- Does it do well in the woods, on trails, or at the beach?

-- Does it have a suspension system?

-- What color did you get? Do you like the color?

-- How has it held up? Any rust or corrosion on the aluminum?

-- How are the storage pockets? Are they big enough?

-- How well does it fold? MB said it folds in 3 seconds. Is this true?

-- What other strollers did you compare it too?

-- How do the seets seem for the passenger? Are they too bucket-like or is it ok?

-- Are you happy with the aesthetics? It looks kind of imposing on the website.

-- Do you think it's worth the money?

Thank you so much for any help you can give me! I've been on bedrest since Feb so I appreciate all the help and advice you guys have given me since Winter!

susan

kcimato
06-20-2002, 08:54 AM
I purchased the MB Urban from Banjo Baby in Columbia MD.
They do have a web site www.banjobaby.com
I was able to see the MB IRL
I was not charged the shipping. I don't know if they charge shipping online or not
Michele is very helpful and her phone number is listed on the site

denise1111
06-21-2002, 05:10 AM
We ordered the double urban in spruce green . It will be here next week ( I am so excited! ) We have twins who are 8 mo. old. We chose the MB to have one all purpose stroller that will last for years. We started with the Graco Duo Glide. It is very nice when they're very small to leave them in their car seats. I understand MB has clips for carseats now. I'll respond to your other questions when it arrives.
***Denise E****

spu
06-21-2002, 08:01 AM
Thanks to both of you for the info! The spruce green color sounds great. Let me know what you think once it arrives.

susan

ct
08-24-2002, 12:47 PM
Just wondering if anyone has an update/answers to any of Susan's questions. I too am looking into getting a MB (not sure whether to get the Urban or Terrain Double), but am in Michigan where there are no dealers so it will have to be a decision made sight unseen. My #2 is due in November so I should be able to wait for the carrycot option available in Sept. as an accessory for the baby. I am not a jogger - the stroller will be used mostly for shopping (malls) and walks around town and to the park. I'd appreciate any help from any MB owners out there in making my decision. Thanks!!

ct

strollerqueen
08-25-2002, 02:37 AM
Wow. SUsan has a lot of questions. But I'll give it a shot:

-- Where did you purchase it? Are there any online sites? MB doesn't have any stores in our area so we'll need to purchase it online.

I purchased it from Alan at www.mountainbuggyusa.com

-- How much did you pay? I've seen it for $499 + 30 shipping. Are there any other sites or discounts available?

I bought my double terrain last year, at whatever the going rate was. I don't remember exactly, it was $400 plus.

-- MB said it is suitable for newborns. Is this true? Did you have to modify or pad the seats for newborns?

Yes, it is fine for little babies. The seat makes a nice full bassinette, but if the option is available, I'd go for the carrycots. Otherwise, I have used those little $10 inserts from BRU with all my strollers, for the first 3 months or so.

I don't have one, but everyone else says it turns on a dime.

Yes.

Absolutely.

No, but I've never missed it. The stroller is extremely well-balanced.

I custom ordered a navy canvas seat, with a red frame. I don't know if this is available any more. I love it, but am toying with the idea of "trading it in" for a red double urban!

After a year of heavy use, it looks brand new. No rust or corrosion, and I use it frequently at the beach.

I have the wire basket. I wish it was bigger!

Yes, this is true.

Every stroller on the planet! Every double jogger you can name in the U.S., and in several other countries. Seriously. WHen I decided to buy mine, they didn't even have a US distributor! I was going to ship it from NZ, then Alan came on board.

-- How do the seets seem for the passenger? Are they too bucket-like or is it ok?
My children seem very comfy in the seats.

-- Are you happy with the aesthetics? It looks kind of imposing on
the website.
I think it's very cute. It is smaller than most other joggers.

Every penny! It is the easiest double stroller I have ever pushed!

:)

DDplusTwinsMommy
08-25-2002, 08:42 PM
I'll give it a try. Just got a double urban a month ago and LOVE IT! I am not a jogger either, just walk to elem school twice a day with it. Very easy to push and a very smooth ride for them.

I purchased it from Alan at www.mountainbuggyusa.com

I don't think there are any discounts out there. I paid the $499 + shipping, plus I got the sunscreen and rainshield so I paid a bit more!

My twins are 15 mos old and have no desire to lay in a stroller anymore (great!LOL), but it reclines pretty flat.

yep, on a dime!

I haven't been to a restaurant in it, but the mall is fine.

Sorry, haven't been "roughing" it for a few years. And even though we are in FL, haven't been to the beach with it yet. But I did hear that in the sand it really helps to lock the front wheels so they don't swivel in the sand.

RED and love it! Everyone knows who is coming down the street!

They are not really big, but I added a Stroller Cool where I put not only sippy cups but keys, cell phone, sunglasses, etc. They are adequate for what I need it for.

Easy fold

Oh my! Well, I checked out this board and the ParentsPlace stroller board for many months and looked online at Pegs, Macs, Inglesina, Instep, KidCo, Baby Trend, you name it! I really wanted one that would last until they were 4 or 5 because I can see keeping twins in a stroller much more than I did for my first child!

They are the sling type, but it is OK with mine.

-- Are you happy with the aesthetics? It looks kind of imposing on the website.

Not imposing at all, pretty sleek.

YES, very well made! Good Luck with your decision!! SUSAN

ct
08-26-2002, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the update gals! I appreciate all the info. Alan has answered numerous questions for me and I am waiting to receive the catalog. It's so hard trying to make a decision sight unseen!! Thanks again!! :)...

ct

denise1111
08-26-2002, 03:07 PM
I've had our Mountain Buggy double urban for 2 months now and I am certainly satisfied with it.
I didn't like shelling out the big bucks, but I went from a Graco tandem to the Urban and the difference was like going from a trike to a 10-speed bike.
My girls were 8 mo.'s old to start. They have always had the lambskin seat covers to use. I don't connect the shoulder straps because I don't run and that gives them a little more freedom.
I get compliments on the stroller.
I also get comments on how comfortable the girls look.
The sun cover fits perfectly and also protects from bugs.
My girls are fair skinned red heads. No burns.
I lift it in and out of the SUV pretty easily once I got the hang of it.
It folds/erects almosot instantaneously.
THe mesh baskets undeneath hold more than they look like they would.
I have a StrollerCool on the handle for things I need handy.
I also hang my diaper bag off the handle(Lands End Do-It-All)
This stroller made me feel much more mobile with my twins.
It almost pushes itself it rides/steers so well.
Its a smooth ride on sidewalks and trails.
The only time I think I should get my tandem out is when I get in clothing stores with the racks all too close together-but its never such a big problem that I actually get the tandem out.
***Denise E***